Prologue

Pat's P.O.V

"We're moving!" My ma announced cheerfully on July 4th. It was a sunny day, perfect to go to the pool and hang out with friends or host a barbecue for your family. But no. We had to move on this nice day because of my pa's work.
"Alrighty," I replied, yawning, since I just woke up.
"I'll start loading up the van." My pa replied to my mom, ignoring me.
"How long will the ride be?" I asked them both.
"About 4 hours." My ma replied.
"Ugh." I groaned. I was surprised when I first heard that my pa was WILLING to drive straight through the state down to Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I took a quick shower and put on some fresh black jeans and a jean jacket. I decided to go for a black shirt since I was not in the mood for color. I was still sleepy at the time, so I decided to leave my hair down to its natural, wavy, medium length.
I stared at my periwinkle highlights. They were still fresh from when I got them done a few months back. They were a little washed out, but just enough to coordinate with my natural brown hair. I still didn't look pretty, but close enough to those days' standards.
We started going down the highway to get to that small town. I fell asleep as soon as I got comfortable in my car. Thank God I don't have any siblings, because I wouldn't be able to sleep.
"We're here!" My ma announced.
I sat up and looked out the window. The house was smaller than our old one, but I didn't mind. We didn't need that much room anyway. Before I could even say anything, my ma and pa were already taking out the suitcases from the trunk of our car. I finally got out of the car and started unloading as well.
That evening, I decided to take a walk after dinner to explore this "new world". I decided on going to the park, where I would hopefully be safe. I started walking out the door, but my dog caught up to me. He's a golden retriever, with dark chocolate eyes that I absolutely adored. I put him on his leash and led him out the porch.
"PAT! Don't forget your jacket! It might get cold," ma called out from the kitchen.
"I have it!" I responded back.
My jacket is one thing I never forget. It's my favorite thing I own. It's a jean jacket, but it keeps you warm no matter where you go which is quite handy on any last minute change of plans. My pa bought it for me, shortly after he was hired. He said, "I'm going to get paid better now, so I can finally afford you something decent."
The walk to the park was quite pleasant. When we finally got there, it was empty. I wasn't surprised, since it was too late for little children to play anyway. I took advantage of the situation and ran to the swings. I started swinging lightly with my dog in my arms. (His name is Rico, by the way)
I slowly stopped swinging, but then felt someone start touching my back as if to push me. I looked back and it was a tall, strange guy with a smirk on his face. He had greasy dark brown hair with brown eyes that looked daring. I wanted to ask who he was, but nothing came out.
"What's up doll, the name's Dally." The stranger said.
"Don't call me doll." I snapped.
"Hard to get, huh? That's how I like 'em"
"What are you talking about?"
"What's your name, sweetie?"
"Pat. And don't call me sweetie either. In fact, don't call me anything that isn't my name." I turned my head around to see if he could get the hint and go away.
"You from 'round here? Pat." He finally asked and took the swing next to me.
"Just moved."
"You gonna be a greaser or a soc?"
"What is that?"
"Socs are snobby, spoiled, brat white trash. Greasers are more like me. Tuff and individual. Don't need no one to back them up while they're talking." He spat.
"I would've guessed you were a Soc from the spoiled way you talk." I chuckled.
"Hahaha I'm dying of laughter. What are you?"
I thought about it for a moment. I didn't want to be known as a spoiled rich kid. But I also didn't want to look like a hoodlum. Which was worst?
"Fine. I guess I'll be a greaser. No questions, please."
"Fine by me," he said happily, "you'll be our first."
"First what?" I asked.
"Greaser girl."