Chapter 7

Faith POV: 

It's been a week since one of the most frightening nights of my life. It's been hard sleeping at night, but it's gradually getting easier. I keep thinking about the sound of the shots hitting the side of the house, the girls' crying, and the look on Tim's face. He was so terrified... 

Today is rehearsals for a George Strait honors concert. They set up a mock-stage in one of the warehouses in East Nashville, since the concert will be out in Vegas. This is my first time performing live in a while, so I'm kind of excited. I hum as I drive in, feeling almost giddy to hear myself behind a mic again. I park in the relatively empty lot, seeing some cars at the far end. 

My phone begins to buzz inside my purse. I dig it out, glancing down at a text from Tim. I narrow my eyes, before putting my car back into drive. I speed down the highway, pulling up to the place he said he'd be. I stare at the barn, wondering why here of all places. I get out of the car, and rush inside. I look around, realizing this place is barren. I dig my phone back out, making sure I didn't misread it. 

I'm so sorry... I messed up, and I really need you to come help me... I'm in the barn out on the edge of the ranch... Hurry please. - Tim 

I walk further into the barn, looking around a little, praying I won't find him lying dead somewhere. The crackling of the crumbling cement sounds behind me, making me turn around quickly. 

"Goddamnit Faith... like a fucking moth to a flame, I swear." Dad shouts in anger. I stare at him, feeling my chest pound. I glance at my phone in my hand, struggling to connect things together. He holds up a phone in his hand... Tim's phone... I feel my heart sink, as I grow numb.

"Where is he?" I let out. Dad shakes his head, not willing to tell me. I wince, blindly dialing 9-1-1. I can hear it ring faintly, giving me hope. I back up slowly, looking around the barn for any clues on where Tim could be. Dad is backlit, making him appear like a shadow coming toward me. 

"You honestly think I'm going to promote this pathetic thing you two have? That man is nothing but a fucking alcoholic, Faith." He screams loudly, making me cringe. I look at the open door behind him, and determine that I'll have to run for it that way. I take a deep breath, before making my break. 

I sprint toward the house, feeling like he's following right on my heels. I run as fast as I can, throwing the sliding door open and locking it behind me. I hear myself hyperventilate, before I realize that sound is mixing with distant, blood-curdling screams. I turn around, following the noise with my eyes. It's coming from upstairs. 

"Faith, what the hell are you doing here?" Tim's voice rasps lightly, as he sits with his back against the kitchen cabinets, an half-empty whiskey glass resting in his hand. Sara continues to shriek, disturbing me deep down. She sounds like she's absolutely insane... 

"Dad... he stole your phone and lured me to the barn and... and..." I stutter, so out of breath he probably can't understand a word. He simply stares at me, seeming like he's lost of all energy. He tips his head forward, revealing a bandage over his head. He stares down into his glass, spinning it around. His lip begins to twitch, before he completely unravels. He covers his mouth, sobbing violently. 

"I... I... I opened the door.... Faith, I swear.... I swear I opened the door." He say hysterically, howling. He places his hands on the sides of his head, his whole body shaking violently. He punches himself in the side of the head, forcing me to intervene. I kneel down, grabbing onto his hands and holding them tightly inside of mine. 

"What happened?" I ask calmly, seeing him fall apart in a way I've never seen before. 

"I went out... I start... I opened the garage, and I got in my truck. I started the truck, and then I got out, because something in the garage fell in front of my car... I went to grab it, and something hit my head... and..." He stops as sobs consume him once more. "When I woke up, the door was closed, and Sara was holding Colton, and screaming while trying to turn off the truck and open the door... Colton..." He begins, before shutting his eyes tightly. "He wasn't breathing... He wasn't breathing..." He shouts, tears clouding his eyes as he leans his head back against the cabinets. "I killed him... I killed my son... I..." He says, sending chills down my spine. I stare at him, feeling unable to breathe.