Chapter 18

Faith POV: 

I wake up in the middle of the night with a jolt, after a nightmare I can't seem to remember for the life of me... I sit up, placing a hand over my chest as I hear the rain pound on the roof. Strikes of lightning light up the room, while the thunder that follows comes in distant rumbles. I look the other way, seeing Tim lying on his stomach with his face smashed against the pillow. I run my fingers through his hair, while trying to come off of the adrenaline rush the nightmare supplied. 

Tim and I have been trying this for about a month now, trying to keep it low-key in front of the girls. Keeping it quiet is not working well, because we are like freaking teenagers right now. Of course, they know we are trying this again, but I didn't want to make it seem super hot and heavy right from the get-go, although that's exactly what it's been. I'm kind of surprised with him. So far there haven't been any major disputes, which is kind of remarkable for us. Our history over the last few years has been composed of fights-a-plenty. 

"I think your demons might be gone... I don't want to jinx it, but you seem better..." I let out, feeling like hearing the words aloud will embed them in my mind. I lie back down, resting my head on the back of his shoulder, feeling it rise with ever breath. I miss moments like this... 

My dream kicks off the moment I shut my eyes. I find myself in the ranch again, lying next to Tim in bed. We stay curled up next to one another, until the alarm suddenly begins to blare. Tim sits straight up, and grabs a  pistol from his nightstand. He creeps toward the bedroom door, before freezing when the alarm stops. I sit up, watching him from bed. He motions me to stay put, before tiptoeing down the hall. He peeks in the girls' rooms, noticing that they're all in bed - although starting to stir after hearing the alarm. He pulls the safety on the pistol as he walks down the stairs, his limp completely gone. He looks around the first floor, before walking over to the security system keypad. The wires in the back have been pulled, silencing the alarm, and the automatic call to police. He investigates, noticing the back door has been forced open. He debates searching further, or gathering everyone into one room and calling the cops behind a securely locked door. He decides to go with the latter. 

He ushers the girls into the master, locking the door behind him. I cling to the phone, already having begun the call. Audrey shakes visibly, while Gracie is quick to soothe her. He looks at the window as the sun pushes its way through. It must be at least ten in the morning. He glances toward the bathroom, making an executive decision. 

"Girls, go hide in the bathroom." He orders quietly. I narrow my eyes at him, confused for a moment. "It's one more locked door...  one more line of defense." He justifies, making sure he hears them click the lock. He and I wait anxiously in the master, while the operator tells me to stay on the line. Tim squeezes my hand, opening his mouth to speak, as there's a creak outside of our door. I see him pale out slightly, while the operator starts to speak loudly over the phone. I hang up in a moment of panic, trying to conceal the noise. I shut my eyes, feeling like I'm breathing into a microphone. My stomach drops, as I hear the lock click. They picked the lock... Tim raises his pistol, ready to fire. 

The door slowly swings open, revealing a tall man with a black ski mask on. A smaller guy in the same attire follows behind him, hoisting a large duffel bag on his back. The taller man aims a rifle toward Tim, making me feel numb. 

"Put the fucking gun down." The man orders, while Tim slowly lowers it. Tim gradually creeps forward, putting himself between the men and I. 

"Nobody moves, and nobody gets hurt." The smaller man says, with a slight New York accent. I nod slowly, watching the smaller guy dig through our drawers in search of valuables. He seems to grow frustrated at the lack of expensive items he's finding.