Chapter 32

Tim POV: 

Faith has been off ever since we've been home. She's been, dare I say, clingy... I would've thought that, given the revelations that surfaced while in Mississippi, she would've been a little awkward and distant, but now I can hardly move without her asking where I'm going. She even requested to come to the studio with me today, which is weird for her. Normally she'll stay home, because she knows that it's usually all the technical stuff that goes on during Studio days, like recording the same song over and over and over again. She's still appearing happy as a clam sitting here, though. 

"Can we run through the chorus of that once more?" Byron says over the speaker, making me sigh. I nod, putting my headphones on again, and flipping back to the lyrics. Byron counts me in, before the track begins to play. 

"For the hum of wheels on the blacktop... The strum of strings on a flat top... It's a neon fever, for a small town dreamer... Tells you everything you have is worth losing... Damn country music..." I sing, before looking at him. He stops recording, and listens to it quickly, before giving me a thumbs up. I feel relief flood me as I quickly vacate the booth and walk in to sit beside Faith on the couch. She leans her head against my shoulder, making me narrow my eyes a bit. 

"What's going on with you lately?" I ask quietly, watching her look up at me with her cheek pressed against my shoulder. She shrugs, while I push her hair behind her ear. "You've been really close... and I don't mind it, but if there's something else going on, you have to tell me." I whisper, as she bites her lip. 

"I'm fine." She replies half-heartedly. I open my mouth to start arguing that point, when I feel my phone start to buzz in my pocket. I pull it out and see a missed call and voicemail from Gracie. I hold my phone up to my ear, wondering if she left something for school at home again. 

"Dad!" I hear her cry over the phone, before a rustling muffles her voice. My stomach sinks as I hear her sobbing. 

"Long Hunter State Park... no cops, just us... You have half an hour before I shoot her." His voice rings out, completely paralyzing me. Faith watches me carefully, seeming to know something is wrong. I quickly stand, before rushing out toward the car. She follows behind me, appearing extremely worried, as my shaking hands grip the steering wheel. I peel out of the studio, knowing it takes half an hour to get there on a perfect day. 

"Tim, what's going on?" Faith asks, while I feel nausea stir within me. I fly onto the on-ramp to the highway, curving at least a 90. "Tim, what the hell is going on?" She screams, as I weave through traffic. 

"He has Gracie... He..." I release, the word making me feel ill. She pales out a little, before nodding quickly. She takes a few deep breaths, before deciding to be the voice of reason. 

"Alright... it'll be okay... We'll... We'll call the police, and they'll go in and get her." She begins to suggest while I shake my head, slamming on the brakes as I reach a car that is going far too slow in the fast lane. I cross three lanes, before speeding ahead of them and toward the exit for Highway 24. 

"He said he'd shoot her if we brought cops." I let out, hyperventilating as I try to focus on the road which is racing under our tires. She bites her lip, before clinging to the dash as I enter the on-ramp. 

"Did you hear her?" She asks, while I weave through traffic once more. I nod, my hands trembling beyond my control. "Shit..." She releases under her breath, as I spot the exit for Long Hunter.  I pull off and follow the signs, before spotting the lake. "Why does he want us out here?" She whispers to herself, like she's trying to think this through. I pull up to the park and quickly rush out of the car, causing Faith to sprint after me. I stop in place and turn toward her.