Chapter 31

Faith POV: 

I stare out the window as we drive back to Tennessee, feeling like I've been through a whirlwind these last few days. I glance down at my left hand, which is intertwined with Tim's. I smile a bit, but that latent fear is still there. It's been over ten years since that night... why does it still scare me? 

"I don't really remember that night." Tim's voice rasps, as he clings to the wheel. He bites his lip while watching the road pass under our tires. "It all seemed like a nightmare. I woke up the next morning with a hazy recollection of what happened, bruised knuckles, and an empty house." He admits, taking a deep breath like his thoughts have been torturing him this entire trip back. "I was so terrified at what I'd done that I tore myself apart. I don't know if Kim ever told you, but when you guys came back to Nashville after running off that night, she stopped by." He stops himself for a moment, while I lean the back of my head against the window. 

"She didn't tell me about that." I reply, watching him squeeze the wheel a little tighter. 

"She found me on the floor in the middle of shredded songwriting books, bottles of liquor, and needles. I'd gone on a complete binge, and grew so... terrified... that I punched every mirror in the room until all the glass was out of the frame. I had two broken hands, and I was in the midst of an overdose when she found me. She couldn't call the cops, because that would look pretty bad, so she sat with me the entire day, keeping me from killing myself." He explains, while I wince. His words place a heavy weight on my chest. 

I recall being at the beach with the girls that entire week, trying to sort out how I was going to begin a life without him. I remember looking at a house along the Alabama shore, but custody rules in Tennessee would require me to grant Tim full custody if I wanted to move out of state, since that would uproot them out of their schools and social lives. The girls were the only reason I ever came back to Tennessee... I bought a new build house within the same school district to make the transition easier for the girls, and began to engross myself in my career since I had completely free time for two weeks out of the month. There were plenty of days where I woke up crying, but I was never so lost that I considered suicide. 

"I didn't know that you were missing certain parts of what happened that night." Tim releases while I nod slowly, glancing out the window. 

"I didn't either." I reply quietly, before he pulls into our driveway. Gracie's car is sitting out front, meaning that the girls are home from Betty's. We walk inside to hear Audrey singing along to a commercial while Gracie shouts at her to be quiet. Maggie laughs at them both, making me smile. We drop our bags by the door, catching their attention. Maggie rushes over to us as we walk in the door, giving me a tight hug. Audrey keeps her eyes glued to the tv, while Gracie just waves, making me laugh a bit at how different each of our daughters are. Tim smiles at them, before wrapping his arm around my waist loosely and leading me inside. The motion catches Gracie's eye, causing her to watch us closely. 

"Why don't you go wash up, and then I'll get dinner started?" Tim says quietly toward me. I nod, and start upstairs, as Gracie now narrows her eyes at Tim. "What?" I hear Tim call toward her before I shut the door to our room. I laugh a bit to myself, while I kick off my shoes. I slip off my jeans, before noticing something sticking out from under Tim's pillow. I stagger over and pull it out. I flip it open before feeling my chest fall through the floor. 

The day of retribution is here, at last. 

A picture falls onto the ground, falling face down on my feet. I bend over and pick it up, hearing myself gasp at a picture of Tim taken through a window at the studio. I grab onto my chest, feeling my head throb as I try to process the words.  I turn toward the door, before I lose my ability to breathe. A tall man in all black stands there, a crowbar in hand. He steps toward me, laughing a bit as he does so. 

"Honey, you shouldn't go looking through other people's things." He releases, before stopping a couple inches away from me. He takes the paper from my hands and slips it into his pocket. "I'll keep this a secret if you do too, alright? That means keeping your little trap shut around your boyfriend, understand me?" He requests, while I remain completely frozen. 

"Who are you?" I croak out, feeling my heart pound so hard, it hurts. He grins, reaching out and caressing my cheek. "Do you work for my father?" I release, as fear starts to paralyze me. He laughs, shaking his head. 

"I'd like to think of myself more of a partner in this venture." He replies, winding me. "You know who attacked your husband at Soundstage?" He lets out, making my stomach sink. I feel myself pale out, watching it put a smile on his face. "That was me... I don't think you really want to play games with me, alright honey?" He taunts, before grabbing my arm and twisting it. "I'd have no problem inflicting that degree of pain on you, if you want to cross me." He whispers, while I nod quickly, feeling my whole body tremble. He releases my arm, leaving me standing in horror. "Keep this little visit between us. I'll see you soon." He says, before walking toward the bathroom. He jumps out the window and onto the landing below, before scurrying away.