Chapter 11

Tim POV: 

Sara and I are going to try and make it work... It just makes sense that we give it another shot, given everything that's going on in our own lives. I'm working on staying away from drugs, and she's working on mourning Colton. Of course, I'm mourning him too, but I was in a rehab a thousand miles away while he was born, and for the first few months of his life. I guess for me, losing him isn't as painful, because I didn't share huge moments with him, which I know is awful... I know it's awful that losing Gracie, Maggie, or Audrey would've been a lot more traumatic for me, and I know it's wrong that I don't feel the same was Sara does, but it's true. I'm angry that it happened, I'm angry at the way it happened, and I'm angry at the cause of how it happened. I'm not sad, I'm angry... 

Sara's been writing nonstop lately, leaving me with a lot of time to myself. I've been trying to write too, but I haven't been able to think. My mind is far too crowded to even consider sitting down and coming up with a song right now. I've been sitting up all night trying to challenge myself to come up with something... anything... but I'm running completely dry. I look back through my old songs in search for inspiration, running across one that catches my eye. I always thought of it as a duet, maybe between Faith and I. I click on a document titled Songwriting Session: 1/10Highway Don't Care was written in January, so I can put money on it being in that document. I drag it into an email, and hit send, sitting back for a moment. I click on the attachment after it's sent, before feeling my stomach drop. 

Highway Don't Care isn't in there... Instead, She Is is in there, making me feel short of air. I just sent my ex-wife a love song that was written about her, after telling my current-wife that we were going to stick it out. I grab my phone, starting to write a text, along the lines of I'm so sorry, I clicked the wrong link, when I notice the pending text bubbles pop up on my phone. I feel my heart stop, as I await to see what she says. She's probably pissed... 

My phone buzzes in my hand, as I try to calm down. A short message pops up. 

 Got into a fight with Weston - can you come pick me up?

I narrow my eyes at the message. I guess she hasn't seen the song yet? Maybe that's a blessing. I look at the clock to see it's 4:17... That's kind of late for her to need a ride. I shake it off, before trying to think of a way to word my response. 

Yeah. At the house?

She answers back fairly fast, to my surprise. Maybe this is a good thing... I can apologize for the song, in person, before she reads it, helping mitigate some of the backlash I'm bound to get. 

No, downtown - Soundstage

I stare at the message, hesitantly walking to grab my keys. I drive downtown, wondering what the hell she's doing at Soundstage this late. I pull up to the Soundstage warehouse, and stare out at the empty parking lot, feeling apprehensive. I grab my phone, dialing her number, before hearing it ring endlessly. 

"Hey! You've reached Faith. Leave a message" Her voicemail rings out. I lean my head back against the headrest, feeling exhausted after having driven downtown at five in the morning with no sleep. 

"Hey... I'm here... I don't know where you are, but I'm out in the car. I guess just meet me outside, or give me a call back. Alright, bye..." I say, before hanging up. I sit for a moment, gradually starting to think that this could've been a prank in response to the song. What if she dragged me down here at 5 am just to screw with me? That's a little cruel for her though... I dial her number again, getting forwarded to her voicemail... again... "Hey Faith, it's Tim... I'm at soundstage, waitin'... If you're pranking me right now, it's not appreciated, because I'm tired as hell. Call me back." I say, laughing a bit at myself as I hang up. Maybe she got sick of waiting, and called a cab. I tap the steering wheel a couple times, drumming along to the beat of the song on the radio, before going to switch the station. As I look down at the dial, I hear my door open.