Chapter 25

Faith POV: 

My dream tonight is different... Everything is coated in a warm, orange hue, while Tim appears to be years younger. He walks with me through the ranch, clinging tightly to my hand. He leads me upstairs, sitting me down on our old bed. He laughs, his smile warming me to the core, as he seems to search the room for something. 

"Wait here..." He orders, before jogging into the hall. I laugh at him, before sitting patiently, my hands clasped in my lap, and my legs swaying slightly. A loud smash alerts me, sounding like it came from downstairs. I stand up, and walk down to the main floor, where nothing appears to be broken. I narrow my eyes, before wondering where Tim ran off to. 

"Tim?" I call out, walking down the hall. "Tim!" I shout at the top of the basement stairs. I slowly shut the door, waiting to see if I hear any sounds. A constant steady thud rings out in the distance. I shut my eyes for a moment, trying to track down where it's coming from. I open my eyes and start toward the kitchen, before peering out the window over the sink. 

Tim stands about ten yards away from a little boy, holding a worn leather glove with a shiny new baseball inside. The boy's glove is new and stiff, causing him to take it off every couple seconds to stretch it out. Tim smiles at him, before tossing the ball his way. The boy runs toward the pitch, narrowly missing it. 

"Dad!" The kid shouts, sounding aggravated with Tim's horrible throw. Tim laughs, before patting his glove. The boy tosses the ball back, landing it almost perfectly in his mitt. 

"Now, that's what I'm talking about!" Tim praises, making the boy smile proudly. He and the boy continue to play catch, until a little girl runs toward them. She wears a blue jersey, holding a lacrosse helmet in her hand. 

"Dad, can you take me to my game?" Gracie asks, while Tim takes a deep breath. 

"Ms Sanchez is actually picking you up. She might be outside already." Tim says, while Gracie nods. 

"Did you ask, or did she offer?" Gracie asks, making the boy chuckle. Tim rolls his eyes at her. "She has the biggest crush on you." She continues, gathering her things and starting toward the door. Tim laughs, shaking his head while resuming their game of catch. 

Thunder starts to ring out, causing Tim to cut the game short. They walk inside, and into the kitchen. The little boy sits down at the kitchen island, while Tim opens the fridge and grabs two juice boxes. He hands the boy one, before starting to drink one himself. It always used to make me laugh, how he always ate the kids' food. Rain starts to pound on the window, while the little boy giggles about something Tim said. 

"Dad?" The boy calls out quietly. Tim perks up, offering his full attention. "What was Mom like?" He asks, making my stomach drop. Tim hasn't looked at me since I walked in here... Does that mean I'm... 

"She..." Tim starts, before stopping and biting his lip. He looks like a deer in headlights, searching for the right words but seeming to run blank. "She was the best woman I've ever known." He says, seeming to tear up a bit. "She had a knack for knowing the right words to say, and the right things to do, which I've never been lucky enough to have. She loved you guys like crazy, and she loved me like crazy." He sugarcoats, seeming to be fairly reserved. 

"Mr. Craig said that she died while having me." The boy lets out, making Tim cringe. He takes a deep breath, looking down at the counter. He looks up at the boy, with a script in mind. 

"She was hurt, and the doctor said that they could only help one of you, so she chose for them to help you." He says, although it doesn't feel true. The boy looks down at his juice box, seeming confused. "Sam, she loved you so much." Tim says, making my heart fall through the floor. Sam nods slowly, while Tim takes a deep breath. "You aren't the reason she's gone. She was injured pretty bad, and she probably wouldn't have made it either way. I'm just blessed that I got you, because I could've lost you both." He explains, causing Sam to look up.