Chapter 1- Old Habits

To What I Owe You

Chapter One- Old Habits
—————————-

I could feel my head throbbing with every blow, every time another fist came crashing down on my head, my arms, my legs anywhere visible. It was like I couldn't escape them for nothing, every time I tried to reach a fist up to swing there was little to no momentum behind it, little to no opportunity or window of access to hit anyone. It wasn't until a hard, and solid punch landed my cheek bone did everything seem to stop. Things weren't blurred anymore I wasn't covered by the shadows and bodies of all four girls and I could finally breathe, but the pain wasn't allowing me to collect all the air I needed.

"Get the fuck up off her or I'm airing everybody shit!" I could hear my brother bark out into the crowd of people.

"That's what the hell you get hoe!" I could hear Amari and all her girls laughing.

It didn't last long before two shots were fired, then I could hear everyone screaming and running. Feet hitting pavement full speed ahead, getting the hell up out of here. The lack of any bodies hitting the ground let me know they were warning shots from Montrell. As soon as most of the noise from everyone taking off was out of ear shot I could feel Montrell slowly lifting me up off the ground. The blood rushed from head down to my nose where it was already spilling out and then through the rest of my body.

"Ah shit, Kadeejah," I could hear him speak lowly as he tried to prop me up against the wall that was behind me. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes," I groaned barely peeling my eyes open as the sun was beaming directly in my face.

I felt helpless, and dumb as hell to be in this position to begin with. I had promised myself I was done fighting, done giving bitches any of my energy, but it was like somehow someway, Amari knew the right shit to say to get under my skin. Every bit of my skin and I just couldn't take it, not today at least. The last thing I expected the big, the bad, and the ugly to pull was jumping me on my own fucking block. Any bitch with a motor mouth like the one Amari got stamped to her should have hands to back themselves up, or at least you'd think. But it seemed about by time I was twenty seconds in and not letting up on her face she needed some type of help and now here I was getting jumped by four bitches with none of my girls in sight.

I could feel myself being lifted in the air and half squinting I caught a glimpse of the few still standing around watching me getting carried away like it had been a murder scene. Might as well have been, after getting jumped like that my reputation was sure to be as good as dead. And that's all I could worry about, fuck how my face looked, fuck what happened yesterday and or the first fight I ever got in and won, everyone would know me now as some type of pussy, and weak bitch; two things I don't stand for. After this fight, no one would even think of anything that could prove otherwise.

I felt Montrells shoulder jab into a door and then the gust of wind from inside rush past us. The smell that was invading my nose and the warmth that was wrapping around my body let me know it was our house. The door slammed shut behind us before I could hear the worried voice of my sister. "What the fuck happened to her?"

"While your dumb ass was in here fucking, those dumb ass bitches from down the block jumped her!"

"What bitches from down the block, they still out there?" Renée yelled out as I could hear her feet gunning for the door and then the front door creak open.

"Hell naw, they been gone."

"What the fuck, why you ain't come get me?"

"Because I assumed you would've already been out there, and not letting her get jumped!" Montrell yelled over his shoulder before he gently sat me down on the toilet seat in our downstairs bathroom.