8.Yohan

Your POV

I don't want to go back home. Not just yet. I finally got to feel freedom. I've never been out of that building for over a night and I've finally done it. I feel like a rebel. I feel great. Yes. This is life. Just when I thought I was on top of the clouds, a thought hit me.

I left Yohan.

All alone.

By himself.

I turn back from the street I was going to take-which takes longer-and run to the worn out building. I push the unlocked door quietly and lock it behind me. The wooden floors creak as I step upstairs to the dark hallways, almost tripping. I feel along the walls since there was no railing. This place is so unsafe.

"Yohan?" I peek into his room that was across from mine but find it empty. The blankets on the ground were neatly folded up in the corner with a blue pillow on top. What? He's always here. My heart starts beating faster, at the worried thought of a 4-year-old boy being kidnapped or out on the streets. Was he here gone yesterday too, while I was gone?

I run into my room, which is just like how I left it. Ms. Kim's room is opened and of course, she isn't home. Why the heck should she be the owner of the orphanage when she can't even take care of kids? We've had more orphans here, but many had run away after they grew up. But Yohan is still young and helpless. I've practically cared for him since he got dropped off here as a baby. But weirdly, he's never called me, 'mom'.

I walk down the hallway, seeing an orange light from the kitchen. There's Yohan, standing in front of the fridge with the door opened. I sigh. He's alright. "Yohan," He jumps, turning around. "Close the door, or else the food will go bad."

"There is no food to go bad," he looks into the fridge again before closing it. Right. Of course, there's no food. "Yohan, let's-"

DING

Ajumma: Y/n, I'm feeling much better now. You can come to work if you want ^^

Yohan wraps his arms around my legs, looking up at me with his round eyes. I ruffle his hair, "Do you want to go eat some rice cake?"

*****

"Woah, slow down, Yohan," Yohan drags me, running as fast as his little legs could carry him.

"Noona," he tugs on my arm, his eyes smiling. "I can eat the spicy ones, right?"

I smile. "Of course, you get to eat fish cakes too."

Yohan squeals,now skipping instead of running. Sometimes, it makes me wonder. Yohan is an orphan, but does he remember his mother? Is that why he never calls me 'mom'? He has never called Ms.Kim 'mom' either. I shake my head. No way, he was a baby when he got here.

We soon arrive at the familiar food stand. Ajumma is busy serving a line of customers. "Come on, Yohan," I pull him behind the stand, sitting him down on a stool.

"Oh y/n, you're here~" Ajumma greets, handing me a black apron. Thank you."

"No problem," I tie the apron. "How are you feeling?"

Ajumma smiles, "I'm a lot better now, thank you."

"Ajumma, two tteokbokki please!"

I scoop some spicy rice cake into two paper cups sticking toothpicks in each cup, "Here you go."

"Thank you~" The last customer leaves.

"Noona, can I have my spicy rice cake now?"

"Oh!" Ajumma turns around, spotting Yohan who had been quietly sitting on the stool. "Is he Yohan?"