39.Shattered

"Useless, just useless."

He throws the glass bottle across the room and it shatters in millions of pieces on the floor, reflecting off from the light coming through the small window in the dim room.

A woman's scream pierces in the night air and a whimpering of a little boy is heard beside her. "Please honey, sto-"
Another bottle flies right past, hitting the wall behind her by her face. She holds onto the little bundle more tightly as it cries and cries.

"Ugh, shut the fuck up!" he growls, glaring at them.

"He's just a baby, he can't help it," she weakly croaks as she pulls her oldest son closer behind her, away from the drunkard.
He fumes loudly and his face turns fiery red. He staggers toward, slamming a hand against the wall beside her head. "Get rid of it," his disgusting breath hits her face and she leans her head as far away from him as she scrunches her nose.

"No,"she whispers. "I won't get rid of him. I won't. Never."

He grabs her collar with both of his hands, " You will get rid of him. Or else, I'll get rid of him myself."
The little boy looks up at the man with testy eyes, "Daddy, p-please don't. Don't hurt him. He's my b-brother." The man eyes down at his eldest son. The little boy gulps, "He's perfect, just the way he is. I love him."
The man gruffly sighs, " Fine. But we'll see later."
*****
"STOP!!!" A female desperately screams.

The man repeatedly hits the boy, on his arms,legs, chest and face. His cuts leak of blood, now black. The blood dried and the new wounds cover it up with more fresh red blood. He falls to the ground, lightheaded, on the shattered glass bottles, cutting himself more but he can't feel it. The internal pain was more hard to bear than physical pain. He doesn't fight back his father, but stands back up weakly, knowing that it won't change things even if he did.

"Do you think you're still alive because you're good?" He spits at the boy, who's head hangs down. The man's fist makes contact with the little boy's face, his lips now cut open and it drips out hot blood. "Why aren't you answering?!" Before the boy could answer, he punches him again. "It doesn't matter if your eyes get wrecked right? They're already wrecked. So useless-"

"DAD!" The older boy shoves his drunk dad away from his bloodied brother. The man passed out on the floor and the mother scurries over to her younger son, "Baby! Yoongi  baby!" She holds his wounded face, which doesn't even look like a face but a head of a dead animal. "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" The older boy watches with misty eyes and he wipes the escaped tears away.

"M-Mom," his voices comes out husky from all the punches and strangled on the throat. "Don't b-be sorry. I should be t-the one saying that. I'm sorry for living. For making your life like- like this."
She caresses his matter hair, "Baby," she weeps. "Don't ever, ever say that."

"But it's true," he says in a monotone. "If I wasn't here, you and hyung e wouldn't get hurt everyday. You'll be more happy. Hyung will be more happy. He- he will be happy."

"No I won't," the older brother kneels beside his brother and places a gentle hand on his bruised arm. "I will be so lonely and bored without you. Who am I going to learn beatbox from or have rap battles with?"
The mother smiles proudly, "Because I have you, Yoongi, I'm more happy. Because I have you, I feel more blessed. Because I love you, I feel like dying when you're not beside me.  Because I love you, I got to learn what love really is."
The 6 year old boy turns his head to the voice of his mother, "Really?"
"Really,"  she says firmly.
"Then, you won't leave me?"
She cautiously cuddles him without touching his open wounds, "I'll never leave you."  

******

"Yoongi, I'm so sorry," she holds onto his arms, tears welling up in her eyes. She brings him in a for a hug but he doesn't hug back. Nor does he say anything. His hands stay limp by his side and his lips are pressed into a thin line.

The older brother steps forward, "Yoongi-yah." He still doesn't answer but curls his hands into fists. "We promise we'll come back."

When he silent, the two give him a last hung and leave him.
He stands in the hallway, anger flowing through his veins.

She said she'd never leave me.

She says she can't live without me.

She said she loves me.

"Min Yoongi-sshi?" A nurse gently takes his arm. He looks far off blank then nods slightly. "We're going to get you a guide dog. We picked her out ourselves but if you don't like her, then you can always choose a different one."

They walk down the white hall. It smells of that odd hospital smell, which rather comforted him. It was like his second home.

"Holly, come here," the lady claps her hands and the dog immediately comes and sits in front of them. "Here," she brings his hand to pet the dog and he does.

Once.

Then twice.

"Command her something," the nurse stands up.

He thinks for a second, "Holly, bark." The dog barks and he smiles. He reaches his hands out and the dog crawls into his lap and softly licks his hands, making him smile a little.

"What do you think of her?"

A single tear drops onto the dog's head, "I'll have Holly."