Bittersweet reunion

The Bowman stared at the enormous wolf whose colossal head Thorin was hugging tightly to his chest.

"Auntie!" Fili and Kili made their way toward Thorin and tackled the wolf so hard that it actually fell to the ground to its side low growl emerging from its throat.

All three dwarves laughed while crying and soon enough entire company surrounded them, their joy clear in the interaction with the animal. The scene evidently confused Bowman and Bilbo cautiously walked to stand in front of him, clearing his throat. The man looked down and Bilbo offered a slight smile.

"She's his fiance and their aunt. She isn't an actual wolf, but a skin-changer," the hobbit explained pointing Thorin and his nephews who were now climbing at the wolf's side like a pair of overly excited puppies. Kili's injured leg didn't seem to slow him down for one bit.

"You're one strange group," Bowman mumbled and turned around, making his way to his barge.

"I'm Bilbo Baggins," Bilbo introduced himself, earning a polite smile and glance from the man.

"Bard" man answered and turned to his barge once again.

You were lying on the ground while Fili and Kili were sitting on your side, Thorin buried his face to your neck stroking your fur whispering endearments to your ear.

When you saw that the man you had prevented to shoot your companions and your lover leaving you made a quiet grunt and looked over to Balin and then at the man trying to tell Balin that he might be their chance to cross over the lake.

Balin was quick to catch on and made his way toward the man.

"That barge over there, it wouldn't be by any chance for hire?" Balin asked hoping that the man would help them.

The dwarves, one hobbit and you in your human form now, were sitting on the barge while Bard was navigating it across the lake. Dwalin wasn't happy, and he sure was making a fuss about it.

"Oh, I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him."

"Oh, Bard, his name is Bard," Bilbo suddenly said sounding a little angry.

"How do you know?" Bofur turned to ask Bilbo, slightly surprised.

"Uh, I asked him,"

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him," Dwalin huffed turning to look at the Bowman who was steering the barge.

Thorin was keeping you on his lap, nuzzling his nose to your hair, arms securely around your waist, not really paying any attention to what his men were talking about.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him. Come now, lads, turn out your pockets," Balin said, counting the money that he had so far in front of him on top of the barrel.

While others pulled out their money and valuables, Dwalin turned to Thorin, who reluctantly lifted his head from your neck and lifted an eyebrow.

"How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin asked quietly looking Thorin in the eye making him sigh when he heard Balin making a statement to him.

Thorin patted your thigh signaling to you to get up from his lap and you did. He then stood up and turned to look at Balin, a silent question in his eyes.

"There's a slight problem. We're ten coins short." Balin said while recounting the money. Thorin crossed his arms and turned to look at Gloin, who was anything but willing to help.