Game of cat and mouse

Bilbo stared at Thorin in front of him, utterly confused and a little afraid. This wasn't the Thorin he knew, this Thorin who stood in front of him didn't seem to care if he was close to losing his life over the Arkenstone.

Thorin glared at Bilbo swinging his sword across the tunnel where Bilbo was trying to go blocking the entrance and pressed the blade against Bilbo causing the hobbit to stumble back. Thorin and Bilbo faced each other with the tip of Thorin's sword against Bilbo's chest and for a second Bilbo was pondering his options, either he would die by Smaug's fire or Thorin's sword and frankly, neither of them wasn't really lifting his spirit.

"Thorin. Thorin!" Bilbo tried to get through to him, but nothing seemed to work.

Thorin stepped forward, forcing Bilbo to step back, eyes wide open with fear, noticing that Thorin's face was steel and blank of emotion. But then Bilbo glanced over Thorin's shoulder and froze on the spot which made Thorin tilt his head, hearing a sound coming from the direction the hobbit was looking and turned around.

What Thorin saw snapped him out of the daze he was in a minute ago and he stares at the dragon who is approaching them over the mountain of treasure. When Smaug recognized Thorin all hell broke loose, as he snarled angrily, rushing forward.

The rest of the dwarves came out running of the tunnel, weapons ready and facing the dragon. That only ignited the already burning anger toward the dwarves as Smaug roared and pick up the speed, rushing forward, his neck and chest glowing in orange.

"You will burn!" Smaug bellowed unleashing the inferno inside of him and a monstrous wave of flames travel through the air toward the dwarves incinerating anything crossing its path. At the nick of time dwarves and the hobbit jumped out of way tumbling down the pile of treasure and landing near the entrance to another tunnel and as fast as they could run into it.

Outraged that the dwarves could run away from his grasp, Smaug breath fire in all directions swearing in his mind that he would get them and burn Thorin Oakenshield and the rest of his kin to ash.

Same time Thorin was the last one in the doorway, pushed in by the force of the flames causing him to run as fast as he could to the other end of the tunnel with the back of his coat on fire. As soon as he was able Thorin threw himself on the ground so he could extinguish the flames before they could do any damage to him and then jumped back up ripping his coat off of him.

"Come on," was all he said to his friends and led them away from Smaug who's roaring echoed in the background.

*****

You were breathing heavily as you kept looking if there were any orcs left to fight, but luckily with the help of Tauriel and Legolas, you could fight them off. But Kili was getting worse, and you turned your attention to him, shielding your sword.

"We're losing him!" you shouted grabbing his leg and looked at the wound which was changing color because of the poison in his blood.

Tauriel walked pass you glancing at Kili, but Legolas ushered her to chase the remaining orcs. But she didn't get very far because Bofur appeared before her with the Kingsfoil in his hands and Tauriel couldn't believe her eyes as she took the plant from Bofur's grasp.

"Athelas..." she said to herself while examining it.

"What are you doing?" Bofur asked, looking stunned.

"I'm going to save him," was all that Tauriel said as she rushed back inside washing and tearing the Kingsfoil apart in the tub of water held by Tilda, Bard's younger daughter.