The road that leads home

Running through the rocky path you had difficulties maintain your balance as you were dodging flying arrows, rocks and pieces of wood. The troll and the goblins were chasing you relentlessly, and for a moment, you doubted if you were going to escape from this foul place. Bilbo was whining in your mouth, letting out a curse or two when he bounced up and down, your teeth hitting his stomach and back. And yet he made sure his satchel was unharmed. It didn't serve anyone any purpose if he squished the fruits.

Coming to end of the path you saw it went up and instead of pebbles, the ground changed into dried riverbed where was lying enormous boulders after boulders making you stop dead in your tracks. Glancing back, noticing that the distance between you and them was narrowing dangerously fast. Your legs were shaking as you were getting weary, your muscles refusing to cooperate any longer. Dropping Bilbo gently to the ground, you nodded your head that he should climb onto your back. Shifting his satchel he hopped on your back gripping tightly onto your fur.

Panting you closed your eyes mustering all the remaining strength you could and then leaped onto the first boulder looking briefly back before you started jumping boulder to boulder hoping this wouldn't go on forever.

The troll growled angrily as it saw you were getting away and picking up the speed it came thundering forward smashing any goblins that were unfortunate enough to be in its path making the ground shake beneath its feet.

Bilbo turned to look back and much to his horror saw the troll approaching with unnatural speed and a squeal escaped from the hobbit as he turned to you practically screaming in your ear.

"Faster!! Troll is gaining on us!"

A frustrated growl came from the back of your throat while you hopped on to the next boulder feeling exhausted, you didn't need the reminder of the fact that both of your lives were in danger. You paw slipped from the surface of the rock and yelping you fell down while Bilbo gasped closing his eyes.

Breathing heavily you lied there for a minute taking a look down at your paws. They was bloodied, your pads were torn open by the rough ground and the nails were broken and bleeding as you tried to climb ending up scratching your nails to the rocky surface every time you were about to lose your footing. Everything hurt and you felt hopeless. The troll's hollers and footsteps came closer by the every passing minute but you didn't care. You needed to rest. Tongue hanging from your mouth saliva dropping from it to the ground forming a puddle between your front paws mingling with the blood.

Bilbo noticed your current state and hopped down crouching beside you, trying his best to ignore the troll nearing in.

"Let me see that paw," he murmured gently placing his hand on your leg. Whining miserably you agreed and watched as he took the water flagon and washed the blood.

"It's not that bad. It looks worse than it actually is. What do you say if we get out of here and then I can tend those injuries properly?" Bilbo whispered stroking your cheek giving you a friendly smile. Licking your snout briefly you huffed and waited for him to climb back on. Glancing over your shoulder you saw that the goblins and the troll were dangerously close now and Thorin's face flashed behind your eyes at that moment.

Your beloved in mind you growled furiously flashing your teeth at the troll and forced yourself up just in time when the troll extended its arm trying to grab your tail. Jumping out of its reach with nothing more than sheer willpower you kept going while Bilbo shouted encouragements to you and it gave you the strength you needed.

With one final leap, you ended up on the edge of Ettenmoors where its border ended and Misty Mountains started. Both of you turned to look if anything was following you but all you saw was a thick layer of mist and from behind it you heard the goblins screaming and the troll's angry growls. It would seem that there was a line which they didn't dare to cross, much for your relief. The sun was just starting to set behind the mountains coloring the sky with most beautiful shades of red you had ever seen when you and Bilbo turned around walking slowly toward a small pond that was glimmering in the distance in front of a small spruce forest welcoming you to take a rest. Darkness was setting finally earning a big yawn from both Bilbo and you.

Bilbo crawled under a spruce, after tending your paws, which lower branches spread out like a large blanket offering him shelter from the night breeze. Looking at you from his hiding place you looked like a vague white painting which presented a wolf in front of a small gleaming pond that reflected the moonlight.

Bilbo couldn't see any specific details but knew that you were still alert, ears upright and your eyes wide open. Every hair sticking out and the pink tip of your tongue barely visible every time you were restless. The hobbit knew also no matter how exhausted you were, Thorin was constantly on your mind preventing you to close your eyes as if you were afraid to go to sleep.

"Let's try to get some sleep...we can set off early in the morning," Bilbo whispered and saw how you turned slowly, almost majestically your head while you were lying there and whined quietly like you were protesting the idea.

"Come on, you're exhausted, you need to rest so you have enough strength to keep running," Bilbo's sassy reply made you huff but lowered your head onto your front paws taking a deep breath causing a puff of dirt to rise up from the ground. Chuckling Bilbo made himself comfortable while resting his head on the ground closing his eyes.

"You'll thank me later, hopefully, we can catch some breakfast in the morning too," he whispered before sleep took over and his mind drifted to more pleasant places.

Glancing at his way you lifted your head when you noticed your little traveling companion was fast asleep. Looking at the night sky you wished you would be able to be back in time. It was more than two weeks when you set off to find the fruits and you weren't sure if Thorin and Kili were still alive. Crying quietly you finally tried to fall asleep Thorin's loving face in your mind.

***

Fili was pacing back and forward in Thorin's tent feeling anxious trying to ignore the sounds of starting of the heavy rain outside. You hadn't returned yet and it was almost three weeks now. The elves were able to keep both Kili and Thorin alive but they were running out of time, as they explained the inner injuries that they couldn't see was the main problem. Thorin was getting weaker every day, his face was pale and his hair was dull and full of knots. Breathing was shallow and Fili was afraid Thorin would not be able to hold on to life much longer. Kili's breathing was also difficult and the elven healers were struggling to figure out how to help him to keep breathing.

Balin and Dwalin were sitting next to Thorin's sickbed, Ori, Dori, and Oin were next to Kili and the rest of Thorin's company sat on the side giving them some space. Everyone was quiet, seriousness plain to see in their faces as they prayed Mahal himself to keep their dear friend and king alive. Gandalf was smoking his pipe deep in thought in front of the entry when suddenly the wind carried through the rain distant but familiar howl into their ears and everyone perked up instantly. Ori's face lit up when he realized to whom that howl belonged to.

"She's back!" Ori shouted dashing out of the tent Fili and the rest of the dwarves right behind him.

Everyone ran as fast as they could on the edge of Dale's rampart gazing into the darkness nervously. And soon enough they saw your white figure appearing from the darkness with impressive speed. Through the drumming sound of the rain hitting the ground, the dwarves could hear your paws hitting the path in front of you, occasional splashing sound echoing in the distance when you ran across the fast forming puddles.

Fili was the first one to leap forward and running toward you tears falling to his cheeks arms open while shouting your name his voice cracking at the end. Excited and affectionate yelps escaped from you when you saw Fili running toward you. Slowing down you two crashed against each other Fili wrapping his arms around your neck burying his face into your wet fur while you collapsed to the ground placing one of your huge paws behind his back pulling him closer quiet whines leaving you.

Bilbo hopped off leaving you two alone and ran to others giving the satchel to Balin.

"Here, give these to the elves. Hurry, they can save Thorin and Kili," he panted looking soaked and miserable but smile on his face, Balin didn't need to hear nothing else as he took off toward the tent fruits in his lap.