Chapter 2

Zoe

My mornings never stray from complete chaos.

I wake up - a slow, volitant flap of the lids - in a foggy haze. For thirty minutes that often feel more like five, I remain snared in my sheets and blankets. When I finally decide to check the clock, it usually leads to the discovery that I have ten minutes before I need to be out the front door.

The morning that I leave for Hogwarts is nothing short of this.

By the time I decide to drag myself out of bed, I have five minutes to pack my extra belongings, eat, and prepare myself for the long journey ahead. I am rushing around the loft like a crazed lunatic, spooning sloppy helpings of oatmeal into my mouth between sweater-folding and hair-brushing. Three times, my grandpa calls to me that it's time to go. All of these times, I respond that I'll be down in "just one more second, now".

He spends the majority of the car ride to King's Cross crying about how fast I'm growing up and reminding me to work hard and make friends. I nod and hum and agreement, because I'm afraid that my oatmeal will make a reappearance if I open my mouth.

The thought of going to Hogwarts today has my stomach in knots. I have dreampt about my move-in day for years, but now that it's actually upon me, I feel anything but prepared. I already know how it's going to go - I will board the train with Stevie and Eric, change into my robes, get sorted, enjoy the feast, and unpack. But there's just something within me that can't stop clinging onto the feeling of nervousness. I just hope I'm better at whatever sort of magic they do there than pre-calculus.

"Now, here's your ticket. You cannot lose this, okay?" My grandpa firmly plants the maroon stub into my hand. "You won't be able to board the train if you do."

"I know, grandpa." I say. I'm barely listening to what he's telling me. We've made it to the space between platforms nine and ten, and I've already adopted the nervous tic of shifting from foot to foot.

"I'm just saying, I know how you are with these things. Don't tell me you've forgotten about that time you lost your ticket to the art show at the SMK -"

"I found it later, though -"

"- and that cost me a fortune to get." Abraham finishes, ignoring my side comment. "This costed much more - you know that."

I nod quickly, check behind my shoulder. Eric and Stevie said that to get to platform nine and three-quarters, I had to charge straight at the barrier between them. Right now, the idea of that seriously makes me want to vomit.

"My goodness," He says, "You're all grown up now. This is just so hard to believe!"

When I look up, I discover that his lip has begun to quiver.

I reach over, giving him an awkward hug with the one arm that I have available. "Don't worry, grandpa. I'm going to message you tomorrow, remember? It'll be like I never even left."

I note that the clock reads 10:57, and mentally curse.

"Oh, I know - but you know how I get about these things. You better get going now, then, sweetheart." He says.

Dizzy with nerves, I murmur in agreement. I heave my heavy duffel on top of the trolley cart, give my grandpa one last warm hug, and plunge straight for the brick barrier.

***

I don't even get a chance to take my first look at the wizarding world when I emerge on the other side of the wall.