Chapter 28

Blaise

When Zoe said something was wrong with me yesterday in potions, she'd been right.

Something is wrong with me -- horribly, extremely wrong. But it's nothing new -- these are problems that stretch back into my childhood years. I've dealt with these things my entire life, and I don't need her to step in and try to save me. All she'd really be doing is endangering herself.

Right now, my legs feel like they're going to give out, and my hands are shaking like hell again. I've been trying to practice keeping them still the last few nights, holding them steadily in front of my face in the dark when I'm supposed to be sleeping. However, I can't hold my quill straight at the moment, no matter how hard I try.

The Slytherin sixth years are out early this morning for an Astronomy lesson. The sun hasn't risen yet, so the sky is still dark and scattered with stars. Professor Sinistra claims this is one of the best times to observe planet movement. She's led us onto the vast stretch of land between the castle and the Forbidden Forest, right next to the Great Lake.

Anyways, Zoe just doesn't get it. This isn't the first time I've gone through this -- it's just the first time she's seeing it. After all, the girl's only known me since the beginning of sixth year. I don't know why she's so damn worried about it.

I glance over at her. As usual, she's not doing any work.

Zoe sees no point in Astronomy -- she'd mentioned it to me once before when I tried to bring it up in one of our tutoring sessions. I couldn't even finish my sentence before she shut down the idea. Then, she went on a quick rant about how much time the subject wastes, and how she'd much rather be learning about Potions or Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Anyways, she's not working. She's pulled out a spare piece of parchment and is sketching little pictures all over it, her eyes narrowed to see in the dark. She's so focused on the sketch, and I'm so focused on her, that neither of us have noticed that someone else is focused on her, too.

Flint, who's on the other side of me, is leaning over me to look at her. A smirk curls onto his face.

"Hey, Zoe -- "

"Shut it, Flint." I snap, my voice filled with venom. Does he really think it's a good idea to try to mess with her in front of me? He's really starting to piss me off.

Flint glances over at me. "Mind your own business -- "

"Do you want me to crack your jaw again? Because I have no damn problem with that."

He falters for a moment. Then, he rolls his eyes and leans back down to his telescope. "Whatever, Zabini."

I scoff to myself. That's what I thought, dick.

When Professor Sinistra announces that class is over a few minutes later, I waste no time folding up my telescope and heading for the front doors of Hogwarts. I desperately need to get back to the common room and finish up my Charms essay, seeing that it's due in a few hours.

As I'm making my way back to the castle, I hear the sound of soft footsteps on the wet grass, quickly getting closer and closer to me. Before I know it, Zoe is at my side.

"What did Flint say to you?" She asks, looking up at me.

My face twists in confusion. "What?"

"I saw you and Flint talking -- well, arguing -- during class. What did he say?"

"None of your damn business."

She looks taken aback by my remark, but continues to walk beside me, anyways. "Okay, can you please not go back to being a dick to me? I get that something is up with you lately, but if you're gonna be a dick, then we just shouldn't talk at all -- "