Chapter 4

Zoe

Somehow, my second day in potions ends up being worse than my first.

Our table is full again, besides the single stool left open for me. When I walk through the classroom door, I meet Blaise's eyes - which are somehow smirking at me, even though his mouth is not - and quickly glance away. Hopefully, I won't have to endure any sort of interaction with him in the next hour.

Unfortunately, I'm wrong.

"Good morning, students." Slughorn says, standing cheerily behind his desk. "I hope you're all ready to learn today! And don't forget - you're being dismissed early from first period to take preliminary exams in second period!"

There's a collective grumble from the class, low and tired. Flint shoots me a cheeky grin from across the table, which I return with a small wave.

"Great! Today, I'll be having you work with partners to cook up a Forgetfulness Potion - one of my favorites, actually - erases the memory to a certain extent. I'd like to observe how all of you work with each other on this fine morning!"

Partners?

I can't help but feel a little scared about this - both nervous and relieved. This time, I'll at least have a little help on the potion, but I'm anxious to see who Slughorn will pair me up with.

He begins to call out carefully selected pairs of names, and students either sigh with irritation or squeal excitedly when they hear who they'll be working with.

"Miss Fletcher, how about you go with..." Slughorn trails off, glancing around the room, "Mister Zabini!"

My heart spasms.

Blaise?

I know Slughorn thinks that he's good at potions and all, but isn't there somebody else I could work with that'd be just as helpful? Blaise doesn't even let me do anything - he just forces me to sit still and watch, so it's not like I learn anything when I'm working with him, anyways. He really seems to dislike me, too. Out of all the Slytherins I've met, Blaise has most certainly been the rudest to me.

My shoes feel like they're filled with lead as I drag my stool over to his side of the table.

Blaise is whispering to the stocky boy seated next to him, his face tight with irritation. I'm positive that he's talking about me. His voice is hissy and low, but I'm sure that I pick up on, "so fucking stupid...don't understand...can't stand her..."

I feel my blood begin to boil.

I don't understand what I've done to deserve this - I've barely even spoken to Blaise, yet he feels the need to be so unbelievably cruel to me. I decide to try and talk to him as little as possible from now on.

"Are you going to get your book out, or what?" A low voice snaps.

I glance up, startled, to see Blaise staring at me with impatience.

"Yes." My voice is short, and a little bit hot, too. I reach down into my bag, fishing around until I find my potions textbook. I make a point of slamming it down on the table, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"He's an ass, Zoe." Flint calls from down the table, evidently listening in on our unpleasant conversation. "Don't let him bother you. You're a Slytherin, too, just like the rest of us."