Chapter 5

Zoe

Despite the Slytherins' malicious comments about Eric (and there have been a few), he seems to know everyone in the castle, and everything about them, too.

As we pace through the corridors after classes the following day, most everyone who passes us waves at Eric with a cheerful smile or a friendly 'hi'. And after grinning back at them, he'll lean in to Stevie and I and whisper that, "she slept with Pansy's boyfriend in fifth year. Didn't end well," or, "he was caught bringing pot onto the train back in third year. They tried to keep it quiet, but I watched it happen."

This makes me grin and even giggle a little, which I desperately need after last night.

Blaise decides to leave me alone in potions today. I think that maybe he actually feels guilty after last night, or maybe he was just pissed at me for confronting him. I'm guessing the latter. But I don't think it'll last much longer than that - if I had to bet on it, he'll be back to his bitter self by tomorrow.

We decide to head down to the black lake underneath the willow tree again, which has become our unofficial-official meeting spot.

"Was today any better, Zoe?" Stevie asks me kindly as we plop down in the shade.

"Third time's a charm." Eric adds.

I shrug, unable to contain the small smile that tugs at my lips. "Yeah, today was good. It was a lot better today."

I'm not lying - I didn't talk to Blaise at all, so that improved my morning quite a bit. Seamus and I had a lot of fun in Charms, playing a class-wide game that Flitwick had decided on after the pre-exams yesterday.

Eric whoops. "See? You just had to get used to it. You weren't giving yourself enough time, Zoelle."

"And you didn't talk to Blaise, did you?"

I shake my head. "Nope."

"What about Julian?"

I'm about to answer, almost having forgotten about the mysteriously cruel boy, when I spot him across the plain.

He's hidden, far back behind Hagrid's hut, concealed between a patch of willow weeds and the Forbidden Forest. He's shaking something - and violently. I realize, not more than two seconds later, that it's a young boy.

My blood goes cold in my veins.

"Zoe?"

But I scramble to my feet, no longer listening to either Stevie or Eric.

"I'll be back."

Before either of my friends can respond, I've taken off, racing across the grassy plain towards Julian. I get closer, and see that another Slytherin boy is with him - a sixth or seventh year. My heart freezes in my throat - I am no match for either of them, but I can't let them continue to hurt the kid.

As I draw closer, I pick up broken bits and pieces of what Julian is saying.

"Filthy mudblood - who let you - get him, Miles -"

I hear the little boy cry out and I want to throw up, but instead I yell.

"Hey!" I shout. "Hey! Let go of him! Stop it!"