Chapter 37

Author's note:

I just want to warn everyone that there will be some smut towards the end of the chapter. I will put astricks at the point where it begins and the point where it ends. While the characters are slightly drunk when this smut happens, I'd like everyone to know that I've written the scene to be entirely consensual. Both characters are slightly intoxicated, but not to a point where they are not able to give knowing consent. Consent is given multiple times on both ends, and I wrote them to be very engaged with, conscious about, and excited about what is happening.

Of course, consent can never be given when one or both people are too intoxicated to make an informed decision (in both fiction and real life situations). However, that is not the case in this chapter.

Anyways, enjoy!

***

Zoe

Dear Zoe,

It made me so happy when I saw I'd gotten a letter from you in the mail -- or should I say from the owl? Ha-ha! I've been missing you, too. One thing I really miss is having your extra set of hands around at the flower shop -- business is really 'blooming' now that springtime is starting to come around.

I'm very happy to hear things are going better at Hogwarts, now. I knew you'd love it if you just gave it some time. I sure miss having you at home, but if you're happy, then so am I!

I can't wait to see you again when your school year is over, and hear about everything that's happened since Xmas break! You've got to show me all of the new magic tricks you've learned, too. Ha-ha!

Love from Grandpa Abraham

As I read over the round penmanship that I know belongs to my grandpa, I feel myself glowing with bittersweet warmth.

I'd decided to send him an owl two mornings ago, attaching to its scrawny leg a quick letter to remind him that I haven't forgotten him. It'd only taken him the length of a day and a night to write me back. In the eye of my mind, I can picture how thrilled he must've been when he'd realized it'd been my name listed in the return address. He must've dropped whatever it was he'd been doing, grabbed a pen out of the pink coffee mug in which we store them, and stowed away to the office at the back of the flower shop to write a response.

This is one of the many reasons why I love him. Anytime I've penned him a message while away at Hogwarts, he's never taken more than two days to get back to me -- even if my words are unimportant and nonsensical. He loves me in a way that my biological parents never could.

As far as I'm concerned, he is my real father. Always has been, and always will be. Nothing in this great big world could change my mind about that.

I dig my hand into my book bag, fishing around for a spare piece of parchment on which I'll scrawl out a fast, yet thoughtful, response. When I'm finished, I carefully slide it into an envelope and send it off to Copenhagen with a burly tawny owl. 

A soothing sense of happiness -- one that strongly reminds me of the peaceful tide and salty air by the pier at home -- rolls through me. As I make my way down to the Great Hall for breakfast, I find comfort in the fact that by tomorrow night, I'll probably have already heard back from him.

It's a Saturday, so the hall is filled with the late-morning buzz of talkative students. The light from the enchanted ceiling casts a happy glow on the room. It's beautiful outside -- I suspect only the most diligent of students will be working today.

As I make my way across the long stretch of stone floor, I steal a glance at the Slytherin table, hoping to spot the familiar face of Blaise. No such luck, though -- he doesn't appear to be up yet. However, I am positive he's in the castle. I saw him last night, so I mustn't worry myself. He's probably just tired, and not too fond of the idea of getting out of bed right now.