Chapter 22

Hey guys! I just wanted to warn you that there will be some somewhat violent content in this chapter that some readers might be sensitive to. Enjoy!

***

Zoe 

Upon the signature of the International Statue of Secrecy in 1689, wizards went into hiding for good. It was natural, perhaps, that they formed their own small communities within a community. Many small villages and hamlets attracted several magical families, who banded together for mutual support and protection.

"Upon the signature of the International Stat - damnit." I read the passage again, hoping that if I say the words aloud, I will be able to focus on them this time. No such luck. They buzz about my mind like fruit flies, slow and provoking aggravation. 

I gently flip the thick book over, and rest my head in my hands. 

I'm not sure if it's the after-effects of the poison or just plain fear, but my brain refuses to focus. I must've read the 289th page of A History of Magic  ten times now, and I still can't stop thinking about my attacker. What if they're around the corner, waiting for me to walk by with an unforgivable curse on the tip of their tongue? What if they're in a secluded bathroom, brewing up a new poison that won't leave a vein in my body untouched? 

There's a person in this castle that wants me dead. The thought haunts me like a real-life nightmare, and I can't seem to focus on anything but it. 

I decide to call it a night - there's no point in sitting down here by myself if I'm not going to get any work done. I slide my books and parchment into my bag, and make a move for the door, craving the warmth of my four-poster bed. 

Just as I cross the threshold, a strong pair of hands grips me forcibly and shoves me back inside the room.

"Where do you think you're going?" Flint smirks, his voice hungry and cold.

***

Blaise

My mind is racing as I rush back into the castle. 

Flint is going to the dungeons tonight to see Zoe, and god knows what he's planning to do. He must've been standing behind Eric, Stevie, and I earlier in the corridor when Eric told me where she'd be tonight. Then, he lied to me about being sick, so he wouldn't have to worry about anyone coming to her rescue when he harms her. And I fell for it. The thought of him touching her, hurting her - I can't bear it. It makes my skin burn with rage.

I take the stairs two at a time, practically sprinting towards the dungeons.

I hear a scream - loud, bloodcurdling, panicked. I know it's Zoe. I want to call her name, but I can't - she won't hear me. I run faster, feeling like a bomb about to explode.

I need to get to Zoe.

***

Zoe 

Flint doesn't waste any time talking. 

I stumble backwards, trying to escape from him with nowhere to run. I collapse onto the floor, my legs shaking with fear. Flint grabs me, his fingernails digging into the flesh beneath my clothes, and I scream. The sound rips out of my mouth, uncontrolled. 

He forces me against the wall, my head knocking into the concrete and making me dizzy. His hands tear at my shirt. My bare skin is exposed, and I am stinging with panic, frantically trying to push him off of me but he's too strong. My heart is pounding so fast that I feel like it might explode. 

"Get the fuck away from her!"

Suddenly, the door slams open and Flint is ripped off of me. The edges of my vision are are laced with darkness, but I can see one thing clearly - Blaise, standing furiously above Flint, who has been thrown to the floor.

I see his fist as it draws back, and then releases across Flint's jaw with a loud and viscous crack.

"Don't make me do it again! Get the fuck out of here!" He screams, his voice bursting with white-hot rage.

Flint scrambles to his feet and stumbles out of the door. I feel myself sobbing, tears streaming down my face, but I can't hear anything other than the intense banging of my own heartbeat. Blaise is standing a few feet away and I have never seen him look so enraged. 

All I can think is one thing.

What just happened? What just happened?

***

Blaise

Zoe is cowering against the wall, shaking like a leaf. Tears are streaming out from beneath her hands, which shield her face. 

I am on fire with fury. I want to punch the wall, or run after Flint and beat his ass. I've never had anger issues that bad before, but the image of his hands on her body makes me want to murder him. I need to control myself right now though - Zoe needs my help.  

I'm at her side in an instant. 

"I'm so sorry, Zo - he's gone now -" My voice is shaking, but I'm not sure if it's because of my nearly uncontrollable rage or the fact that something horrifying almost just happened to the girl I've come to care for more than anything. 

She can't seem to hear me. She sobs, and I have to catch her limp body as she collapses to the floor. She trembles in my arms.

"Help me!" She whimpers, breathing in short, violent gasps. I tuck her head near my shoulder, my heart racing.

"Okay. I've got you. Shh, everything's okay. I've got you."

I pull my quidditch practice jersey over my head with shaky hands, and slip it over her head, covering her bare chest. 

"Can you walk? Do you wanna walk?" 

Zoe chokes out a noise somewhere between a scream and a sob, and nods her head weakly. 

"Okay, we can walk, then. We can go. Let's go." I wrap my arm tightly around her shoulder, holding her flush to me and forcing our feet forward and towards the door. I hold my wand out in front of me, just in case Flint decides to pop up again.

My heart breaks as I hear her struggling to breathe next to me, tears soaking my shirt. But I have to keep the both of us moving. I have to get her somewhere quiet and safe. 

Just then, Stevie rounds the corner, bolting towards us.

"Zoe? Blaise? What the hell is going on?" She stops suddenly and observes her petrified friend. Her face falls. "What the hell is wrong with her?"

"Flint - he -" I start to say, but she cuts me off, Zoe still crying loudly over the both of us. 

"Nevermind, tell me later." Stevie says. "She needs - just help me get her somewhere safe, please."