$ ¡ x

"When did you move here?" Awsten asked to drown out the sound of the drunk bickering behind us.

My heart sped up as I'm not good at small talk. "Uh, I-uh lived here most of my life. What about you?" I lied.

"I grew up in Houston but moved here because my mom lives here. We just got off tour." Awsten replied.

I looked at him with confusion. "Tour?"

He nodded. "Geoff, Otto and I are in a pop punk band called Waterparks. Jawn is our friend-photographer."

"Gnarly, I'm in a band too. We're a rock band called Addicted To Red. I'm the drummer."

His eyes widened. "You're the drummer? Wow."

"What?" I asked, confused. "Why 'wow', do you think I'm the type of person to not be a drummer?"

Awsten immediately jumped up. "No, no, no, no! I just think it's cool that you're the drummer. Being the drummer is cooler than being the vocalist and rhythm guitarist."

I scoffed. "You're funny. Being the drummer is not cooler. Guitarist and vocalist always get the chicks, dudes and other people! You're both so you get double to fun!"

Awsten laughed and I joined him. I surprised myself. Not only was I laughing with a complete stranger who I felt safe with but I opened up and talked to him a lot.

We continued talking, ignoring Jawn attempt to get Otto and Geoff to shut up.

"So, you've already met my band. What about yours?" He asked, glancing at me to the road.

I took a deep breath. "My friend Jacoby, who I met when I was young, is the vocalist. Our other friend, Ivanna, is the guitarist. We had a bassist but he quit a few months ago, his name was Lawrence."

"Why'd he quit?" Awsten asked, seeming intrigued.

"I don't know honestly. He said that we were too 'heavy' and I think he was just pissed off that we weren't getting any gigs." I sighed and looked out the window.

"How are you doing now? -like with gigs and stuff?"

I took a moment before I replied. "I'm not sure yet, we have a gig downtown. At least, that's what Jacoby said. He called me a few hours ago yelling with excitement that we got a gig. I could barley understand him." I laughed slightly.

"We have a show this weekend," Awsten said. "You should come see us!"

"I might," I shrugged. "How will I know when and where it is?"

Awsten smiled. "See, that's what phones are for." He handed me his phone with the call app pulled up.

I smiled and shook my head at the boy. I put my number in and handed it back to the colorful headed boy.

"AWS IS HITTING ON YOUR GIRL, OTTO!" Jawn yelled.

"SHE'S MINE! I CALLED DIBS!" Geoff yelled in response.

"YOU CAN'T CALL DIBS ON A GIRL, ASSHOLE!" Otto yelled at Geoff.

"SAYS THE CHEATER!" Geoff replied. Jawn 'ooh'd and Otto sunk back in his seat.

Awsten sighed. "I'm sorry about them."

I laughed a bit. "It's fine, I'm a bloody mess when I'm drunk."

"Wait, wait, wait, hold up. Did you just say 'bloody?'" Awsten's mouth gaped and he stared at me jokingly.

I laughed again. "Sorry, too much Asking Alexandria."

Awsten and I continued joking around and laughing until we got back to my house.

"Hey, see you this weekend, maybe?" Awsten joked with a smile.

I grinned and got out of the car. "Better start practicing."