Chapter 6

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Milton Berle

~

"Here's the report," I said, handing my expense report to Jaehee. She sighed in relief.

"I'm just glad you made it through the weekend. I was so worried."

"You shouldn't have been. I just had to keep them busy. Lotte World, ice cream, cartoons...all that," I explained.

"Sounds like you had an exciting weekend," Jaehee said smirking. She looked over the expense report. "Once Mr. Han signs this, I'm sure it'll get through accounting quickly."

"Thank you, Jaehee."

"You're welcome, Miran," she said smiling.

"Miran!" I heard from behind me. I whipped around expecting to see Mr. Park. Instead I saw Mr. Han.

"Mr. Han?" Jaehee and I said, both confused.

"I'm glad to see you made it through your busy weekend," he remarked. He turned to Jaehee. "You see, Assistant Kang, she was babysitting one day and figure skating the next."

I could hear Jaehee stifling a giggle. "Was she, Mr. Han?"

"Why are you laughing?" He asked.

"Just thinking about a conversation I had with Yoosung this morning," she lied.

"Oh. Alright. I'll see you Thursday, Miss Bae," Mr. Han said, heading into his office.

"Something tells me he called you?" Jaehee asked as soon as the door closed.

"Just several times. Almost each time when I was with the children," I explained.

"And what's this about Thursday?" She asked.

"I'm going to a photoshoot for Elizabeth the 3rd," I explained.

"He must've fired his old vet," she said.

"He...had a vet before?" I asked.

"Oh. Yes. He's gone through several...for obvious reasons. Be careful. You don't want to be getting an assistants pay for a vet's job."

"Or a nanny's."

"Yes. Be very careful. Now, get to work," Jaehee said. I smiled and headed back to my desk and participated in the slow day. Other than following Mr. Park around, I had already filled out most of my schedule. We were booked for two weeks straight, so any emails I was getting were automatically being told that the next free appointment was in 2 weeks. Save for a few urgent ones here and there, I was shockingly safe for the full day.

I got home, and poured a glass of wine. Wandering around my apartment aimlessly, while drinking a glass of red wine is an incredibly entertaining thing. Something about it makes me feel a bit disconnected fron the rest of the world.

The view from my apartment isn't a penthouse view, but it might as well be. I can see all of Seoul it seems like. I take a deep breath and sit down for a moment. A sense of calm before the storm washes over me. I'm not sure what it is. Anxiety? Nerves? I don't know. This wine is releasing the tension inside of me, but it can't prevent more. I don't know what I feel like will happen, but I feel something.

As if on cue, Mr. Han called.

"Hello, Mr. Han."

"I was thinking about a wine for cats..."

"That's just grape juice."

"...Oh. Huh. I guess it is."

"But on the other hand, have you given Elizabeth the cucumbers?"

"Yes. She really enjoys them. I think they're her new favorite food. Elizabeth!" He called. I heard a tiny crunch through the phone, which I assume is Elizabeth eating the cucumber. Thats...adorable. "Miran...I didn't really call about Elizabeth the 3rd."

"Oh?" I asked. Was it the expense report? Had he noticed?

"I was thinking about what my father said to Mr. Park. The ultimatum? Do you remember it?"

"The whole thing about firing me if profits didn't double?" I asked, with anxiety.

"Yes. I was...I was thinking about that. How...unfair...that would be. If that doesn't work out, how would you like to be a veterinarian for Elizabeth?" He asked.

"Mr. Han. I appreciate the offer. With all do respect, Mr. Han, I am not a practicing vet. I didn't complete a residency and-"

"I'm aware. You would be a veterinarian if you had. Consider it by title only. Like...you help me make sure I'm taking care of Elizabeth correctly. You can also help with cat related business projects. I think you would do excellently, Miran. It's an offer however, contingent upon a scenario-"

"I'll take it, Mr. Han," I said.

"You will? Really?" He asked. You could hear a sense of excitement in his voice.

"Of course."

"Yes...only in the event that you end up getting fired. Job security."

"Yes, Mr. Han."

"Thank you so much, Mr. Han."

"Don't thank me, Miran. I think you just deserve this job," He said, just as he hung up. For a second, I thought he might've hung up by accident, but he didn't call me back. He really did just leave it there. I know the job only happens if Mr. Park wants to fire me after the quarter, but in the meantime, it makes me feel secure.

I climbed into bed that night thinking about the opportunity Mr. Han had just given me. Sadly, it was contingent upon such a negative thing. Not to mention, it would require so much time being spent with him. That's not a thing I really want when I feel myself not minding his calls. When I feel myself...wanting them even. Hearing his voice as a daily occurence is pleasing. It's...relaxing.

I think I have a crush on Mr. Han. I'm both begging to get fired and not to get fired. There comes that creeping feeling of anticipation again. Something is going to happen. Something. Im beginning to think it has to do with Mr. Han. Mr. Han and his determination, even. Something about him, other than his looks, is pulling me in.

I couldn't escape this creeping feeling. I tried showering it away. I tried eating it away. I tried sleeping it away. None the less, when I woke up the next day, I still felt it. But I had to get to work. It was the Board meeting today.

As I arrived at work though, my phone rang. I picked it up.

"Hello, Mr. Han," I said immediately.

"What? Assistant Bae. It's Executive Park," Mr. Park said with some confusion.

"Oh. My apologies. What is it?"

"You need to cancel my day. Seong, Da-Bin, and Tae-Ho are sick. I can't believe this," he said with such anxiety.

"But Mr. Park, we have a board meeting today!" I exclaimed hopping in the elevator.

"You'll have to fill in. You write the reports anyways. Trust me. You'll do fine."

He hung up.

Is this a C&R tradition or something?