Chapter 7

Don't you be so nice to me; I fall in love so easily.

Waylon Jennings

~

I walked into the room silently, and sat down at Mr. Parks place. It raised...more than a few eyebrows.

"My apologies," Mr. Han said walking in, adjusting his tie."My father is at lunch with his wife."

He sat down. Everyone stared at him waiting for his response it seemed like. It took him a moment. Moving his papers and the such. Then he looked up, and went one by one, by department asking about profits and revenues.

Finally, he got to food. "So, Executive Park. Are you on track to double your profits?" He asked.

"Um...well...uh..." I began. I knew this inside and out. Mr. Han shot his head up.

"Is that a new language, Exec-Miran?" He asked shocked.

"My apologies. We're not on track to double profits. We're on track to lose about 15% in profits this quarter, with the acquisition of the grocery stores," I said, far too quickly. Nearly at the point I was not understandable.

Mr. Han has a slight smile. "Are you a bit nervous, Miran?" He asked.

"Just a little," I said fidgeting.

"You remind me of Elizabeth the 3rd when I'm getting her dinner. She meows and meows and meows, but so quickly it doesn't even sound like a meow. And she can barely focus."

"Uh...thanks?" I replied confused. All eyes were on me right now. I hate it. Mr. Han stopped smiling for a moment to actually process what I said.

"...Down 15%?" He asked.

"The stores aren't producing revenue yet. In a month, when they reopen, we project profits to triple."

"The quarter ends in two weeks, not a month. That could dramatically harm our stocks, Miran."

"I understand," I explained.

"Relay that to Mr. Park. Creative accounting might be in order," he said before moving on to the next person.

When the meeting was over, I had been so nervous my papers were really out of order. I was the last to leave the office, or so I thought.

"You did well. Plus it was nice to hear a new voice. A soft voice at that," Mr. Han said.

"Soft?" I asked.

"Soft. Perhaps that's why I call you so often. You're like a break from the roughness of the day," he said. "Oh...perhaps I've said too much."

"You're fine, Mr. Han," I said, finally having everything in my folder. He still didn't dare continue talking. I actually liked the way he was talking. I was silently begging for him to continue. He walked out the room with me.

"Have a nice day," he said, leaving.

"Have a nice day, Mr. Han," I said, returning to my desk.

~

Finally. Thursday. Mr. Park had missed Wednesday too. It seemed like he didn't care about his job despite the pretense he had put on. I got to drive straight to the photography studio though, which was exciting. I also brought my vet bag, which I didn't imagine getting to use after I was hired as an assistant.

My car seems relatively nice for an assistant. I won't lie though. My father and mother are divorced, and my father has always been wealthy. Not Chairman Han wealthy, but certainly wealthy enough. He had bought me this car before university, and I barely drove it. I always kept in nice condition, to the point I would argue that it still looks new. I've always been particular about how my things are kept, so this is just one example of the benefits I've reaped from that.