Chapter 11

Do I believe in love at first sight? I think, like anything, you fall in love, and you see how things progress.

Hayes MacArthur

~

"Dad," I said calmly. "How have you been?"

"I've been great, Miran," My father said, equally as calm. My father is a rather unusually uptight, and upright gentleman. He always carries himself with the utmost understanding for others. Rarely have I ever seen him criticize a stranger. Give me no pause, however. My father is always willing to criticize you after a few months of knowing you. He wasn't excited to hear I was going into veterinary medicine, but he was certainly pleased to hear I was going to work at C&R. My mother was completely the opposite.

My father even presents himself as his personality. He's incredibly tall, almost 2 metres. He has short gray hair, brown eyes, and an unwrinkled face. Save for crows feet, and some smile lines, my father appears much younger than he is. Sometimes I suspect witchcraft. He also always wears tailored suits, no matter the occasion. Although, for his dinner location, it makes sense. He chose such a fancy steakhouse.

I had to wear a fancy silver dress I've owned for years because of the dresscode here. I wouldn't had heard the end of it had I worn a bright colored dress.

"Did you bring the contract?" He asked.

"Oh. Of course," I said, taking it out of my purse. I sipped on my wine, as he began to look over it.

"You're not actually working for Director Han, are you?" My father asked, not too long into it.

"Actually, I am."

"I'm...impressed, needless to say," he said nodding. That was the highest compliment from my father. This being the second time I've heard it. He didn't even find it impressive when I got into Seoul. I can't believe it. Impressed? My breath was nearly knocked out of me.

"Oh...Thank you," I said, now with my hands shaking.

He continued reading. If felt like perhaps my fiance had asked for my hand in marriage. The tensity could be cut with a knife.

"Ah well. My only qualm is with the no specific set hours. Although, I suppose with the responsibilities laid out there wouldn't be any. Perhaps, an overtime provision is in need?" My father asked looking up. I wrote down a quick note about it. When he finished reading the contract, he handed it back and I placed it in my purse.

"Jumin is really a fantastic guy. He's very professional," I said trying to change the conversation. My father looked at me for a moment and back down.

"You have a crush on him, don't you, Miran?" He asked.

"Dad, no. That would be irresponsible."

He shrugged. "I think I know my daughter."

"Dad, I-" I began, when my phone rang. "I'll...just take this."

"Take it right here. I don't care," my father said, gesturing for me to stay at the table.

I picked it up. "Hello, Jumin." My father looked up at me, and nearly died of laughter.

"Where are you?" Jumin asked, sounding distraught.

"Lunch with my father," I explained.

"I...I have to go. I'm worried about my friend. I need you to take Elizabeth for a day. I'm taking Assistant Kang with me," he said, so quickly I couldn't believe it.

"Oh...um...alright."

"Hurry. Thirty minutes or you're fired," he threatened. I jumped up.

"Okay...I'll be there," I said. I hung up my phone and looked at my father.

"I really have to go."

"It's late at night. Let me take you."

"I don't think I have time," I explained. Depsite him being correct (10pm on a Saturday night), I still don't think I have enough time. I'm 25 minutes away from his penthouse, and I'll have to find parking, security, and the lots.

"Sorry, Dad," I said, grabbing my stuff. "I'll call you when I get the chance."

"Go!" He ordered me. I bolted out of the restaurant, jumped in my car, and sped over to Jumin's penthouse. I've never gone around so many cars, people, and...buildings. Nothing was sacred. I made it to his penthouse in 20 minutes. By the time I found parking, 25 minutes. By the time security figured out it was me, 28 minutes. I ran into the elevator at the speed of light. The ride up I timed. 29 minutes, and I knocked.

Jumin opened up the door quickly. "You were so close to getting fired," he said quickly running over to his suitcase. "V and Rika are having issues and I have to go."

He ran around his penthouse anxiously. He even barely put Elizabeth in her pet carrier.

"Nevermind. Don't go home with her," he said, as he put on a coat.

"What?" I asked severely confused.

"Stay here with her. The guess bedroom is right over there," he said gesturing to the only room with a door open. "Its too late to take her back to your place. I'll keep bodyguards here, and you don't even have to leave the building. There's shopping and everything. I'm sorry to do this to you."

He nearly ran to the door before making eye contact with me and actually speaking to me directly. "I'll call you."

And he was gone. Here I am. In a billionaires apartment. Alone with his cat. Great. The creme de la creme of life. It didn't help that Elizabeth was staring at me with those pearl blue eyes. She just made this much more intolerable.

I didn't really know what I could do. I just took off my coat and sat my purse next to me, then I went to bed. Although, Elizabeth kindly followed me and laid next to me head. I pet her as I fell asleep.

~

I woke up early, around 5am, due to a knock at the door. Unfortunately, Jumin hadn't called yet, but he said there was security still. I walked to the door and opened it. There stood a security guard with a plate of salmon and a bowl of water, both on crystal. "This is breakfast for Elizabeth the 3rd. Mr. Han said she eats at 8am." I nodded, and took the dishes.

I walked back to close the door, only to see a different set of items. "Toiletries and your breakfast, courtesy of Mr. Han," they said, handing me a small bag of supplies and a plate of French toast.

"Uh...thanks?" I said.

"Mr. Han will be calling in a few hours."

I nodded and the security guard left. I closed the door. I wrapped Elizabeth's food, although it felt strange going through the cabinets. I then ate my own breakfast before it went cold. I washed my dishes and put them in the empty dishrack. Something tells me Jumin doesn't do his own dishes often.

Elizabeth was still sleeping, so I waited to take my shower. She seemed to wake up at exactly 7:30, however, and looked around the penthouse for Jumin, even staring distressed at his bedroom door. At 8, I fed her, and thus began another plight.