Chapter 19

Jumin and I went up to his penthouse, where he took blue wrapping paper, and created a bouquet of roses. "I can't imagine how Yoosung will feel. They were so close," he said, as he arranged the flowers.

"Him and Rika?" I asked.

"Yes. They're family," he explained, placing his head in his hands. He stood back up and finished arranging the flowers. "I'm so emotionally drained. Excuse me if I'm short."

"You've been surprisingly open," I explain.

"Like I said. I don't believe in grieving. I also don't believe that emotions are key to expressing yourself. You can easily pick up on someone's personality just by observing their actions," he said, placing the flowers on his table.

"Is that how you can get to know someone's life too? By looking at them?' I challenge.

"Well, you still don't need emotions for that. You can just ask. Like...what's the worst memory of yours? And I don't mean embarrassing, just worst?"

"Well my parents were fighting," I begin. "And I followed my father into his office. He was so upset that he didn't even notice me. I was standing next to the wall, and he threw his glass at it. It hit the side of my ear, and he was extremely apologetic...but...I don't know if my mother ever forgave him. I still have a scar on my left ear."

Jumin approached me, and moved my hair away, looking at my ear. I felt awkward. Just him standing there, staring at my scar. Then, he kissed it. I nearly jumped.

"So...what do you think I felt there?" he asked, backing away.

"I...I don't know."

"Well I know you felt nervous from the way you froze. Case and point, you don't need emotions and explanations. Only actions," he said, cockily.

"I hate you," I said smiling.

"Oh. Sorry...did I offend you?" he asked, grabbing my shoulder anxiously.

"Case and point. I was smiling. That doesn't represent hate, now does it?"

"Touché," He said smirking. He was still holding my shoulder. He kept staring into my eyes, and fixing my hair.

"A proper date tomorrow," he announced. "I'll have a proper date with you tomorrow. Would you like that?"

"I would like that very much," I said.

"Good. Then go home. I'll pick you up tomorrow at 6," He said.

"Alright," I replied, walking towards the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Miran."

"See you, Jumin," I said, closing the door.

~

A proper date with Jumin Han. I can't begin to fathom what a proper date with him is. With the media, and everything, what could possibly be proper or normal about it?

Wait a moment. I'm going on a date with Jumin Han. Jumin Han...asked me out? Jumin Han wants to...go on a date me? Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy. Shit. Wait a moment. Wait a moment. Wait a fucking minute. I'm attractive to Jumin Han? The man who could buy a wife, finds me attractive enough...to go out with me? I ran into my apartment bathroom and looked at my face. So...exceedingly...average. And yet, Jumin Han finds me exceptional enough?

It's not to say I don't think I'm worthy of having a boyfriend or anything...but I'm just shocked that Jumin Han likes me like that. I look into my eyes, just staring, before I notice my phone calling. It's Jaehee.

"Hey, Jaehee," I said into the phone far too casually. I didn't even remember that her friend had just died.

"Hello, Miran. Thank you for going to Mr. Han. He eventually got back to all of us," she said. Her voice sounded raspy. It was clear she had been crying.

"Yeah. No problem," I responded. She hung up abruptly. I figured it was best not to call back and remind her that I was here for her. I don't want to bother her, but simultaneously, she needs to know. I texted her instead.

Jaehee. I heard about what happened. You can always talk to me if you need to.

She didn't respond.

I went to my window and opened it wide. Looking around at the city around me, I felt happy. Tomorrow, I'll be out there. On a Friday night. On a date with Jumin Han. That's terrifying and wonderful. I looked at it, and could see my reflection looking back at me. I can't begin to understand what my expression is, but it's somewhere in between happiness and wonder.

I sit back down and flip on the television. It's been on trashy celebrity television since I got fired. I don't know if its so I can see whose life is worse than mine, or because I hope to see Jumin. Either way, it's not healthy. I have it on in the background as I scroll across my phone. I wonder if I should get a game station when I get a new job. It would give me a way to blow off steam.

I start to scroll through potential options, before the television instantly catches my attention.

"Jumin Han's girlfriend!" They announce. I must've not caught the first part of their sentence. They begin to show pictures of me leaving the penthouse, and looking over at the city from my apartment. I instinctively jump up and close the curtains. I run back to the television.

"She appears to have previously worked at C&R," they say, as they show the picture of me entering the office. The one from so long ago where this whole thing began. I threw my head into a pillow. I have never been more thankful that Jumin isn't at home. I'm sure he'd be calling me already.

I barely looked back at the screen from embarrassment. "Please bear with us as we try to discover the mystery woman who stole the bachelor's heart," they say.

I bury myself further into the pillow. I reach for the remote, and finally find the button to turn off the TV. I relax. Please don't find more information in me. How did they even find me? See me? Long range cameras or something? I didn't see them for the life of me. This is killing me.

I took a deep breath. And then they began. Calls from my mother, and father, and people I haven't heard from in years. I suppose my mother wants to hear when the wedding is, my father wants to say "I told you so," and everyone else wants to assault their opinions upon me. I turn it off.

I crawled into bed covering myself in blankets. Perhaps, I can block out the universe under all of these blankets.