Chapter 14

A bachelor's life is a fine breakfast, a flat lunch, and a miserable dinner.

Francis Bacon

~

I couldn't really sleep. A combination of hearing the footsteps of Jumin experiencing the same thing, and my own nerves about the interaction made my sleep sporadic and weak. At 4am I got up and realized I wanted to play piano. To remember what each key feels like is a sentimental process. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a piano. So, instead I'll run. I got up, changed, and ran downstairs to the gym. I ran until 6am, returned, showered, and repeated the process. At 7am, the shops opened and I ran downstairs to buy myself clothes for today. I changed into the dress which was A-line and green, put on the leggings and shoes I had bought, and called my life complete. At least I felt clean.

I folded my dirty clothes tightly so that they fit into my purse. They did, but barely. I took the sheets off the bed and took them down to the laundromat where I washed them, although I imagine Jumin has people for that. It took an hour or two, and I brought them back upstairs. Jumin was in the kitchen feeding Elizabeth when I came back.

"I was worried you felt uncomfortable and left," he said, fixing his posture. I was suddenly aware of what exactly his height was. He was tall, yet not quite lanky so much as proportioned. "What were you doing?"

"I ran. Then I bought a dress. Then I washed your sheets...which I'm putting back on the bed now," I said walking into my room and laying out the blankets. Jumin walked to the door, and leaned up against it's frame.

"I'm not a fan of running. I'm too focused on keeping up a pace or a speed that I can't think. I prefer walks. They allow me to process my thoughts."

"I'm the opposite," I said pulling at the fitted sheet. "Running lets me think because all I have to do is set the treadmill. Walking makes me focus too much on everyone around me."

"Too much? You ran into me on the sidewalk," he said.

"I was running, actually. I was late," I explained, still tugging on the fitted sheet. The opposite end flew up. "Could I get some help here?"

Jumin nodded and walked over, helping me put the fitted sheet on the bed. I picked up the flat sheet, and Jumin helped me lay it out. "You said before you went to a SKY university. Seoul, was it?" He asked, as we perfected the flat sheet, so it was symettrical.

"Yeah. It was my father's alma mater. He's a lawyer," I explained as I placed the quilt on the bed.

"Oh? So did you have him review the contact?" Jumin asked.

"Of course. He suggested an overtime addendum," I explained.

"That won't be an issue. Any specific amount?" Jumin asked, slightly adjusting the quilt.

"Um...well..."

Seeing Jumin's chuckle in real life was something else. He laughed, and grabbed his arm shyly as though he wasn't supposed to show his emotions. "Just answer when you have the answer. Why do you throw in filler words?"

"I'm not sure," I said, shrugging.

"Mmm. Don't stop though. I love it," he said, grabbing the comforter.

"Well...I don't know what a good pay rate is for overtime. I'm not good with math."

"I'll give it to Assistant Kang to figure out," he said. He yawned.

"I take it you didn't get much sleep last night."

"No. Not at all. I feel...different. I think we feel the same kind of different though. At least...I hope," he said, adjusting the comforter until it was perfectly symmetrical across the bed. We made solid eye contact for a moment. I cleared my throat.

"Okay...what exactly are doing here? Right now?" I asked. Jumin looked at me.

"I don't want to have this conversation right now. I'm barely put together," he said, tugging at his clothing.

He certainly didn't look work ready, but he was put together. He had on a striped button down shirt, and it was tucked into a pair of black pants. His hair wasn't perfect, but it's messiness was attractive.

"Is that just an excuse?" I asked.

"I don't make excuses. I tell the truth, and sometimes in the process avoid doing certain things," he said, walking away and up the stairs. I sighed deeply as I heard his shower turn on. Elizabeth stared at me.

I gently pet her. "What will I ever do with him?" I asked. She set her head in my hands. "I should go home, Elizabeth. I think I should."

She laid down on my arm as if to say she wouldn't let me leave. "Elizabeth!" I remarked. "You can't just pin me to the table."

She didn't budge though, at least not until Jumin came downstairs. She ran towards him. He was now in a full suit and his hair was wet, but styled.

"Lunch?" He asked, tugging at his sleeves. I looked at my watch only to realize it was indeed near 11:00.

"Jumin...I don't know if that's smart," I replied. I rubbed my forehead. The headache coming was unmistakable.

He sighed. "You're really persistent about this."

"Yes, Jumin. I slept over at my boss's house. That's not a good look. Especially when were doing whatever this is," I said, cradling my head.

"Not a good look? Is that what you care about?" He asked, clicking his letters a little too harshly. He seemed either angry or passionate. I couldn't tell. I was angry though.

"No. I care about whether the press stalks me. I care about whether it's ethical for me to have some very strange boundaries with my boss."

"To be fair, I'm not your boss yet. I just happen to make money than you," he said. I rolled my eyes.

"To be fair, I'm not sure I can take a pay raise under the conditions of our relationship. You said it yourself, coworkers don't do this. Friends do," I explained.

"I'm not one to be blinded by a woman. That's my father's job...but I suppose I see your side. You'll have to give me time to work something out. A few days at least. In the meantime, my offer still stands. Lunch?"

"Not so fast. Do you also need time to define this relationship? What am I working with, Jumin?"

He sighed, and Elizabeth the 3rd wrapped herself around his arm.

"She's an interesting cat. A perfect woman. She always knows what to do with me. She always knows what to say," he said. He looked back at me. "The only way I can think to define this is again, comparing you to Assistant Kang. I hired Assistant Kang, and she is always professional. Over time, we've became friends. It's never been a conflict of interest, however. You can go out drinking with a coworker, you can even be friends with a coworker. I think it's all dependant upon why they still work for or with you. Assistant Kang doesn't work to see me. I'm sure she would prefer not to sometimes. She works to work. I worry about you however. Not that I think you come to work to see me, but that I worry at times I go to work to see you. You feel like a conflict of interest just by your mere existence. I worry that I asked you here not because I needed you to watch Elizabeth, but as a mere excuse to have you near me. That's incredibly selfish, and I don't want to be like that. Unfortunately, I have bad habits like that. You'll just have to excuse me while I figure out my thoughts. I have to understand what I want in my own head. Do you even know what you want?"

I stared at him. What he said made a lot of sense but I was struggling with the simplicty of my own feelings. I enjoy him, and after last night, I'm starting to crave his attention. When I go home, I want him to call me about whatever goes on with Elizabeth, no matter how silly. I want him to call. J want him to be near me, and tell me to come over. But those aren't appropriate feelings. So I said the closest thing to that.

"I'm waiting on you," I said.

"Then...I'll keep that in mind. Now, lunch?" Jumin asked. This time, I nodded.