Chapter 17

I wasn't expecting to never hear from Jumin again, but I was expecting to never hear from Jumin again. So I spent my weekend on my sofa with my laptop up to my chin, submitting my resume to every single business I could name. I didn't care if it paid half my salary...I just needed a job.

I don't know if you realize this, but when you spend the first 90% of your life working in school, you forget how to not work. So...3 months of freedom seems amazing, but I don't live a life that compliments that.

But anyway, when I woke up on Monday morning, I put on my suit...only to remember what I had just spent my weekend doing, and I changed out of that. And I stared at my phone. All day. Waiting. Waiting for the call that said "Hi. Interview on Thursday?" But it never came.

I was a recent college graduate trying to get a job out of the hiring season. But I thought maybe some company was desperate for a veterinarian's assistant or an assistant...or a cashier. I mean, that's how I got the job at C&R.

But like I said, they didn't call. Not Monday, not Tuesday, not Wednesday...not a day all week. And neither did Jumin. He didn't call the next week, or the next week. I was starting to think I wouldn't get a call until February, which was still a month away.

I didn't even realize how long I'd been  cooped up or how long my father had been paying my rent. Until February came. 1 1/2 months since I lost my job, and when secondary students were graduating, and therefore when college students were. I could finally find a job. To think, I had been a graduate for a year. Technically an adult. And yet, here I was...in my pajamas...on my couch...barely having left my house for a month and a half.

My phone finally rang. I expected it to be my father, finally checking up on me. I expected it to be my mother, finally asking how my job was going. I expected it to be Mr. Park, telling me the quarter was going better and I would have a job in a months time. I expected it to be Jumin, telling me he had figured something out. But it wasn't. It was Jaehee.

"Jaehee?" I asked.

"Don't ask questions," she ordered me. "Miran, I need you to go see Mr. Han. He hasn't been picking up the phone, and he didn't come to work yesterday. No one is answering their phone. Not even Zen. I'm losing my mind here."

"Zen? Jaehee, what's going on?"

I barely remembered the name Zen from the party.

"Miran, don't you see I don't know either? Please. Go to Mr. Han. I'll do anything," She said, I could hear the anxiety and the fear in her voice.

"Okay, Jaehee. I'll go," I said. I hung up and quickly got dressed in a t shirt and jeans. I was...presentable.

I drove to Jumin's house at such a pace you wouldn't think anything was wrong. My mind, however, was running a million miles a minute.

"I'm Miran," I told the security guards. "The vet."

They seemed reluctant to let me up the elevator, but they did, eventually. Before I knew it, I was at his door ready to knock.

That's where I am now. Staring at a door, waiting to knock. I know I need to, but fear is a much stronger emotion than need. "Miss Bae, you should at least knock," I hear from behind me.

I turn around, knowing I'll see an impatient security guard. It's not though.

"Jumin?" I note. His hair was messy, and sticking to his forehead, while he shirt was black and long sleeved, and skin tight. He had on running shorts and tennis shoes.

"I decided to try running," he said, reaching in between me and the door. "It's not relaxing. I have no idea what you were talking about."

He opened the door and let me in. "I'll be downstairs in half an hour," he said before running upstairs, and Elizabeth following so fast she was a white blur.