Chapter 28

We each sipped our tea feeling particularly good about life. We can feel confident knowing that we are particular to one another.

"So the director agreed to let you have me miss work on those days?" I asked.

"Yes," Jumin said simply. Quickly, he looked down at his phone. "You turned yours off, right?"

"Yes. Who's calling?"

"My father. Probably for the same reason your parents are calling. He wanted me to date this absolutely intolerable actress, except, that's not going to happen," Jumin admitted turning off his phone.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked feeling particularly uncomfortable that he had conveniently left this out of discussions.

"With full disclosure, because I was often distracted simply by the thought of you. I would think to call and mention my father's demands that I marry this woman that I've met once, and I would get too busy dreaming of the next time I would see you. I would forget, which is so unlike me. You've changed me, Miran."

Well, if there was ever a good reason not to mention something...

"How long has he been trying this?" I asked, no longer feeling uncomfortable, just interested.

"Months. Basically since the party."

Since the party? Has he been interested in me since the party? Or is this something new?

"Have you wanted to date me since the party?" I questioned, now confused.

"I don't believe it was like that exactly. I think I have wanted to be with you since you ran into me spilling coffee. No one has been that sweet, kind, and personable towards me in a long time. You've always felt so very tangible, Miran. I wasn't aware of just how special you were until you came to take care of Elizabeth that evening. Once my father started pressuring me, however, I felt as though it were wrong for one reason or another, even though I usually would've entertained his desires for a short time. Somehow, I knew before I knew."

His eloquence can be so distracting, I had forgotten about my tea. Somehow he speaks soliloquies so effortlessly, while I struggle just to speak simple sentences.

Jumin and I finished our teas, and as we did, Garcia walked back over, taking the teas and teacups and replacing them with a gigantic bowl of rice noodles and several cups of sauces. She brought two bowls as well. Jumin filled his bowl halfway and took a small cup of sauce, pouring a small amount over. I followed as well with a bright orange sauce that smelled fruity. Jumin didn't eat, however, and we waited for Garcia to bring over several bowls more. She brought a bowl of snap peas, a bowl of mango slices, a bowl of shrimp, and a bowl of beef.

Jumin looked over at me, as he took snap peas and shrimp.

"Try the mango slices with that. And shrimp. Trust me," he winked. The unexpected wink made me nearly melt.

I did as he said, adding mango slices and shrimp, then tasting the noodles. I didn't expect the sauce to be a sour, lemon and mango flavor, but the mango slices did taste very good with it, balancing out the sourness. The citrus flavor of the lemon was still allowed to come through. Jumin knows his flavor so well, at times I question if he should be a chef.

"This is...wonderful," I said, quite excited.

"I'm glad you think so," Jumin smiled. "And it's quiet. That's the third best part."

"What's the first and second?"

"Being here with you is the first. The second is Garcia. She's just a peach."