Chapter 8 - Earned it

Some people believe that without history our lives amount to nothing. At some point we all have to choose. Do we fall back on what we know? Or do we step forward to something new? It's hard not to be haunted by our past. Our history is what shapes us... what guides us. Our history resurfaces time after time, after time. So we have to remember, sometimes the most important history is the history we're making today.

📍Seattle, Owen and Amelia's apartment

Amelia's POV

I was in my car, coming home after my lecture in Chicago, and apparently they liked it. So much that the chief of Chicago hospital made an offer and I didn't know what to do. I'll discuss it with Owen and I'll make a decision.

When I arrived home, Owen was watching TV.

Owen - Hey ! So, how was it ?

Me - Very well, I think they loved it.

Owen - That's great.

Me - Hum...in this regard, I have to talk to you about something...Dr Stanley, chief of surgery of Chicago hospital, has offered me a job over there.

Owen - Oh okay...what did you say ?

Me - That I needed to think about that.

Owen - Well, do whatever you want, it's up to you.

Me - How can you say that ! We're getting married, we're supposed to take this decision together. We're talking about our future life ! I feel like you don't even care about that !

Owen - Sorry, I didn't mean that. It's just,...I need to think about the marriage and everything...

Me - I can't believe it ! So what ?! Now you don't want to get married ?!!

Owen - No it's not that, it's just that I need to take a step back.

I couldn't believe it, how could he tell me that a few weeks before the wedding !

Owen - Amelia...

Me - I don't want to hear you anymore !

I was so mad at him that I left and slammed the door.

———————————————————

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

Cristina's POV

When I arrived to Zurich, I was exhausted. Probably because of the 12 hours I spent in the plane.
I dumped my stuff off and lay down on my bed. I'll be back at work in 2 or 3 days, but not right now. I wasn't supposed to be back until the end of the week anyway. I just needed to think and to take a look at my life.
So I put my earphones and I let myself be carried away by the music.

"...Nobody said it was easy
Oh it's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard
Oh take me back to the start..."

———————————————————

📍Seattle, Owen and Amelia's apartment

Owen's POV

I felt so guilty having told her that but I needed her to know the truth, even if I didn't want her to know about what happened between me and Cristina last night. I didn't want to hurt her, she didn't deserve that. She deserved somebody better than me.

One week later

📍Seattle, Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital

Amelia still didn't speak to me and I was asking too many questions and had no answers, so I decided to go ask Teddy for advice. She was my best friend for several years.

I had just arrived at the hospital, so I walked to Teddy's room. She was supposed to go home tomorrow.

Teddy - Owen !

Me - Hey, how are you ?

Teddy - I'm fine.

Me - Hum, I wanted to talk to you about Cristina.

Teddy - What ? You still love her ? You don't want to get married to Amelia ?

Me - What ?...How...No... I don't know.

Teddy - You've always loved Cristina.

Me - I needed to talk to you because I don't know what to do. I love Amelia but Cristina is the love of my life and I will never love a woman as much as I love her. But we don't want the same things.

Teddy - She doesn't want kids and you want.

Me - Yeah...

Teddy - I think you know what to do deep down inside of you. Follow your heart.

Me - Okay, first I'll talk to Amelia even if she doesn't want to hear me. Thank you Teddy.

———————————————————

Meredith's POV

A week went by since Cristina left Seattle and I still hadn't hear from her. Why didn't she call me back ? I thought  that she needed some time but I still didn't know what happened with Owen. I have thus decided to call her.

The phone rang several time and she finally answered.

Me - Cristina ?

Cristina - Mer ?

Me - It's been a week ! Are you finally going to explain why you left suddenly ?!

Cristina - I know I'm sorry. It's just...I... I slept with Owen.

Me - You what ?!?

On that lonely night
You said it wouldn't be love
But we felt the rush
It made us believe it there was only us
Convinced we were broken inside.