Chapter 32 - Hold on

Inside the OR, the best surgeons make time fly. Outside the OR, however, time takes pleasure in kicking our asses. For even the strongest of us it seems to play tricks. Slowing down. Hovering. Until it freezes. Leaving us stuck in a moment, unable to move in one direction or the other. Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. Time.

📍Zurich, Klausman Institute for Medical research

Cristina's POV

I was in my office, signing papers, making phone calls and answering some e-mails. It was one of the disadvantages of being the chief, you had to do the paperwork. After about an hour, I needed to clear my head so I decided to grab some lunch at the cafeteria. I met Dale Hawkins on my way.

Dr Hawkins - Dr Yang ! How are you today ?

Me - Oh I just spent an hour on my computer, I'm going to eat something.

Dr Hawkins - I haven't eaten yet, may I join you ?

Me - Yeah, sure.

We thus went to the cafeteria together. He was a really good man and a great friend. I enjoyed spending time with him. Well, he wasn't like Meredith, I didn't talk to him about everything but he was good company.

———————————————————

Owen's POV

I was going to grab some lunch and I wanted to ask Cristina to come eat with me but I didn't know where she was. I wanted to spend some time with my wife, with her research, work, and Madi at home we didn't spend a lot of time together, just the two of us. Maybe she was already at the cafeteria. I was right, she was eating with Dr Hawkins. It looked like they were having fun, Hawkins was saying something and Cristina was laughing. I walked towards them.

Me - Hey, can I sit here ?

Cristina - Hi honey, yeah but we were about to leave...we have a heart for my patient, it's on its way. Sorry...

Me - No, no it's all right. Go save lives.

Cristina - See you later.

She gave me a quick kiss and left with Hawkins. I thus sat down and started to eat.

———————————————————

Dale Hawkins' POV

I was with Cristina, operating on the heart transplant. She was fascinating, she was so focused, her hands were quick and sure. Each of her moves were calculated, and perfectly made. She was just...brillant.

Me - You're something. I mean, you're so impressive.

Cristina - You just need to focus, listen and to anticipate your every move. Okay, let's take off the clamp to restore the blood flow, the new heart should beat any second.

We were all looking at the heart. Thump-thump, thump-thump

Cristina - There it is !

Me - You are really talented.

Cristina - I know.

After having closed the patient, we scrubbed out. The sun was setting. I just had a great time with Cristina in the OR and I wanted to scrub in with a surgeon like her for the rest of my life.

Me - What do you say we go have a drink together ? So you can tell me about your research and your magic hands.

Cristina - Haha, hum, all right why not.

Me - Great.

Cristina - Before I have to ask Owen if he can pick up Madi at daycare.

Me - Okay, we'll go after.

———————————————————

Owen's POV

I was checking on my patients before going home when Cristina came to me, Hawkins behind her.

Me - Hey honey, did you have a nice day ?

Cristina - Yeah, uh can you pick up Madi at daycare tonight ? I'm going for a drink with Dale.

Me - Oh, yeah...

Cristina - I'll come home right after.

Me - Okay.

I thus went to pick her up, without my wife, again.

Me - Hello Madi ! Your mama went out with a friend, so you and me, we are going home and after daddy will play with you okay ?

Madi - Dada !

Me - Yeah, it's going to be fun.

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

I had played with Madi, I had fed her, I had given her a bath, and put her to bed. Now I was waiting for Cristina, she still hadn't come back home. She was spending a lot of time with Dale, and I didn't like that. Actually, I was totally jealous but I didn't want to tell her. I heard the sound of her keys as it turned in the lock. She put her handbag  on the table, came and just lay on me.

Me - Cristina what are you doing ? You're drunk.

Cristina - Yes a little.

Me - So, what did you talk about ?

Cristina - You know, mostly surgery.

Me - And ?

Cristina - Why you want to know that ?

Me - No, no reason.

Cristina - He told me about his ex-wife and kids, I told him about Meredith and my life in Seattle and that's it.

Me - Okay.

I know I haven't seen you lately
But you're always on my mind
I don't know what
You're going through
But there's so much life
Ahead of you
And it won't slow down
No matter what you do
So you just gotta hold on.