Chapter 9 - Mercy

Your life is a gift. Accept it. No matter how screwed up or painful it seems to be. Some things are going to work out as if they were destined to happen. As if they were just meant to be.

📍Seattle, Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital

Meredith's POV

Me - You what ?!?

Cristina - I slept with Owen, when I went to his place for dinner. Amelia was gone and then he kissed me and the following morning I was in his bed.

Me - Oh my god, I knew something happened between you two.

Cristina - That's why I left Seattle. Now I'm gonna focus on my work and I'll be out of Owen's life forever. He'll marry Amelia and they'll be happy together.

Me - If they get married...

Cristina - What ?

Me - She doesn't talk to him anymore.

Cristina - Oh my god, did he tell her about...?

Me - No, I don't think so. Apparently he just said that he needed to "think" about the marriage.

Cristina - Oh my god, what did I do ?...

Me - Listen, it's not just your fault, there is a reason if he kissed you.

Cristina - Maybe,...but Amelia is good for him. He can't let her go. Tell him okay, tell him he can't let her go.

———————————————————

Amelia's POV

I had just finished my surgery when I saw Owen coming to me. He caught me by the arm and took me into an on-call room.

Me - What are you doing ?

Owen - I want to talk to you but you avoid me since a week so...

Me - What do you want ? You tell me that you're not sure to get married, how am I supposed to react ?!

Owen - Yes, I know but I think we should talk.

Me - About what ?! I can't force you to marry me.

Owen - I know, I just need more time.

Me - I can't give you more time !...I took the job in Chicago. I'm leaving in a week.

Owen - ...

Me - So it's either you come with me because you are absolutely sure you love me and you wanna marry me or you stay here and it's over between us.

Owen - But Amelia...

Me - You have a week to think about it, then I leave and we'll never see each other again.

And I left.

———————————————————

📍Zurich, Klausman Institute for Medical Research

Cristina's POV

After I hung up with Meredith I was confused, I thought he'd pretend it never happened and that he and Amelia would be happy and would get married. Even if I loved Owen with all my heart...and soul, I wanted him to be happy, and I wasn't the one who could make him completely happy.

I was back at work for two days now, and I had to focus on my work to stop thinking about him.

———————————————————

📍Seattle, Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital

Teddy's POV

I was bored, sitting alone in my hospital room, so I decided to go see Owen. I was supposed to go back home tomorrow so I could get up and walk.
I found him in a hallway, lying on an hospital bed.

Me - Hey ! Did you talk to Amelia ?

Owen - Teddy ! What are you doing up ? You need to rest.

Me - I'm fine. Don't worry. So ? Did you talk to her ?

Owen - Yes...She leaves Seattle for Chicago in a week. She took the job.

Me - Oh...

Owen - And I still don't know what to do.

Me - I know you're going to make the right decision.

Owen - *deep sigh* I hope you're right.

———————————————————

📍Zurich, Klausman Institute for Medical Research

Cristina's POV

I was eating in my office when my pager went off. It was the ER. I can never eat up in peace, I thought. I thus went to the ER to see what was going on.

Paramedic - 42 years old male, crush injuries due to a car crash, and penetrating thoraco-abdominal injury.

When I saw the patient, I was like, oh my god, are you kidding me ? I tried to focus on my work to stop thinking about Owen, and now this patient looked exactly like him. Same red hair, same blue eyes...

Me - Okay, take him straight to the OR, he needs a exploratory laparotomy and a thoracotomy. We need to move fast or he'll bleed out !

Please have mercy on me
Take it easy on my heart
Even though you don't mean to hurt me
You keep tearing me apart
Would you please have mercy, mercy on my heart.