Chapter 33 - Runnin'(Lose it all)

We're trained to be vigilant. To chase down the problem. To ask all the right questions. To find the root cause, until we know exactly what it is. And we can confront it. It takes an extreme amount of caution, or we can overstep ourselves. We can create problems, where none exist.

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

Cristina's POV

When I woke up this morning, I rolled over in bed, my hand reaching for Owen's muscular body. But it found only air and the sheets. I opened my eyes but the sun was blinding me. I got up, my eyes adjusting to the light little by little. He was nowhere in the apartment, he had probably gone earlier to the hospital. I went to the bathroom to splashed some water on my face, then I got ready, woke up and dressed Madi, had a coffee, and went to the hospital.

📍Zurich, Klausman Institute for Medical research

When we arrived at the hospital, I put Madi to daycare and went to my office to change. Once that's done, I went to the lab to continue my research. I met Owen in the hallway, he was not paying attention to me.

Me - Hey darling, you came early this morning ?

Owen - Yep.

He didn't even look at me and kept on walking. Okay...What was his problem ? Did this have anything to do with me ? Maybe it was just a patient.

———————————————————

Owen's POV

I had left early this morning because I was hurt and angry that Cristina spent the last night with Hawkins instead of me and Madi. We were her family, this guy, he was just a colleague. That's why I didn't talk to her, because I knew I would have been upset with her and I didn't want to do this here. I'll talk to her tonight, at home. My pager went off, car crash. I head to the ER and waited for the ambulance. Hawkins arrived, always smiling. I wasn't in the mood to talk to him.

Dr Hawkins - Morning Dr Hunt, how are you today ?

Me - Not as good as you obviously.

Dr Hawkins - What ?

Fortunately the ambulance was there.

Me - What do we have ?

Paramedic - 19 years old male, his car hit a tree and the car behind him crashed into the back. Severe crush injuries and lacerations to the abdomen. The passengers in the other car are in the next ambulance.

Me - Okay, let's get him to CT and we take him to the OR, Hawkins, you take the next one.

———————————————————

Cristina's POV

Since I was here, my research were progressing faster than in Seattle. I was able to do more things, with all the equipment and the 50 printers. The phase 3 was almost complete and I will soon save millions of children's lives.

Shane - Can I start the printing ?

Me - Yes you can. Soon, we can print a functional human heart, a beating heart and we'll change the face of medicine.

Dale came in.

Dr Hawkins - Hey, I just saved a guy's life but he's brain dead...May I come to see your work ?

Me - Yes, come over here. We're printing a prototype human heart.

Dr Hawkins - That is fascinating.

He bent down to look over my shoulder. He was right behind me and I could feel his warm breath on my neck.

———————————————————

Owen's POV

When I walked past the lab, what I saw made me want to strangle Hawkins. His face was just a few inches away from Cristina's. They didn't look at each other and in itself, it was nothing but they were too close for my taste. I stopped myself to make a scene and left.

A couple of hours later, I had a little time so I decided to go see Madi at daycare. I hadn't seen her this morning and I missed her cute little face.

I was playing with her when I saw Cristina walking towards us.

Cristina - Hey ! You-

Me - I was leaving.

Cristina - What ?! No, stay with me...What's wrong with you ? Why don't you talk to me anymore ?!

Me - I...

Cristina - You avoided me all the day !

Me - Listen, we'll talk about it tonight okay ? I said by leaving.

Cristina - Owen !

I had already walked away.

———————————————————

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

Cristina's POV

When I came home it was late, I'd had an emergency surgery with Dale. Madi was probably already sleeping and Owen was on the couch, apparently waiting for me. He seemed really mad at me. What did I do ?

Me - I'm sorry, I had to perform an emergency surgery with Dr Hawkins.

Owen - You were with him, I'm not even surprised. It's like you're ALWAYS with him, and you're NEVER here !

Me - Uh, excuse me, what ?!

I couldn't believe what he just said.

And nothing else matters now, you're not here
So where are you?
I've been callin' you
I'm missin' you
Where else can I go? Where else can I go?
Chasin' you, chasin' you.