Chapter 30 - Smile

Gratitude, appreciation, giving thanks. No matter what words you use, they all mean the same thing. Happy. We're supposed to be happy. Grateful for friends, family. Happy just to be alive.

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

Cristina's POV

It was the end of our first day back at work and we had just arrived home. It was for me a great day. I had done a heart-lung transplant, and holding a heart in my hands again was amazing. I had felt this joy, we you see the heart beating. It was an incredible feeling, I was me again, Cristina Yang, a brillant Cardiothoracic surgeon. I had really missed that. I sat on the couch to feed Madi who started crying because she was hungry. Owen came over and sat next to me, putting his arm around me.

Owen - How was your first day ?

Me - It was a great first day. And you ?

Owen - It was not too bad, the other trauma surgeons were pretty nice.

Me - That's good.

Owen - I'm happy to be here, with my family. You're the two women in my life.

Me - I'm happy you're happy.

My phone rang, it was Meredith.

———————————————————

📍Seattle, Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital

Meredith's POV

It was a slow day at the hospital, so I decided to call Cristina.

Cristina - Hello ?

Me - Hey Cristina, so, how did it go ??

Cristina - Oh it was great, I did a heart-lung transplant, I hadn't done this for a while !

Me - That's great ! And what about Owen and Madi ?

Cristina - Well, Madi is 3 months old so she don't really care about anything as long as she can eat and sleep. And Owen just told me he was happy so...

Me - I'm happy for you guys.

After we hung up, I thought about everything we had accomplished since our first year of residency, when Cristina said that she would never have kids, when we both fell in love with our boss. Now Derek was dead, just like Georges, and Lexie, and Mark, Izzie was gone and my person lived several thousand miles away. I still had Alex, but sometimes I felt alone and cursed, why everyone around me was leaving or dying ?

———————————————————

5 months later

📍Zurich, Cristina's apartment

Owen's POV

Madi was now 8 months old, she was a healthy and beautiful baby and she looked more and more like Cristina, her black hair had grown fast and she had clearly inherited her mother's big and beautiful curls. She was really calm most of the time but she let us know when she was angry. Cristina was as good a mother as she was a surgeon and we managed to juggle between work and family. For my part, I got used to our life in Zurich, it was a very pleasant city to live. Right now, I was in the bed with Cristina and Madi between us, who was playing with her mother's hair. She was taking her curls in her tiny hands and then they were laughing.

Cristina - Well, I guess we'd better get up or we'll be late.

Me - Yeah, you're right.

Cristina - Madi come to mommy, we're gonna get dressed.

After we were all ready, we headed to the hospital, put Madi in daycare and went to work.

———————————————————

📍Zurich, Klausman Institute for Medical research

Cristina's POV

It was 5 p.m. and I was going to my office to answer some e-mails before a surgery. When I opened the door, guess who was there ? Teddy Altman.

Me - Teddy ?! What are you doing here ?

Teddy - Cristina ! I'm happy to see you ! I have a lecture in two days in Milan, so I decided to visit you.

Me - Oh okay, uh...I have a surgery in 20 minutes, do you want to scrub in ?

Teddy - Yeah, it's been a while since we scrubbed in together.

And at that moment, Owen walked in with Madi.

Owen - Hey honey, I brought Madi to you before we go home, I know you work late tonight- Teddy ??

———————————————————

Teddy's POV

Owen walked in the room, holding a baby. My mouth dropped open.

Me - Owen ?? Wow, I think...I missed a lot of things.

Owen - Uh...

Cristina - This is Madi, our daughter.

Me - To Owen, Okay so you live here and you guys have a daughter ?!!

Owen - ...Yeah.

Me - Wow.

Cristina - If you want you could come over for dinner tomorrow, but right now, we have to go. If you still want to scrub in.

Me - Uh...yeah...yeah okay. Well, see you tomorrow Owen.

Cristina - Bye baby !

Cristina and I went to scrub in and I was still shocked about what I had just learned from them. During the surgery, she explained me everything.

Me - Wow, this is...unbelievable !

Cristina - Yep, everybody says that.

The next evening, I went to their place for dinner before leaving to Milan in the morning. It was really nice.

Don't know how I lived without you
Cause every time that I get around you
I see the best of me inside your eyes
You make me smile.