Pt.1|Ch.2

I awoke in the morning, to sunlight streaming through my window. It must've been nearly 8 or 9 o'clock, because the sun's luminescence was turning from a gray-blue to a pale yellow.

I climbed out of bed and dressed quickly, before crossing the hall to brush my teeth and my hair.

There wasn't much I could do with the mess of curls that was attached to my head, so, like routine, I tied it up in a bun.

"Austyn, are you awake?" My mom called as I stepped out of the bathroom.

"Yes, Mama." I said, walking into the kitchen. She stood over the stove, scrambling eggs.

"Have you decided on your essay topic?" She asked as I sat down at the small kitchen island.

I rolled my eyes. "I'd really rather not start the morning with school."

She raised one hand in surrender, the other hand busy with scooping the eggs onto two plates. "Just reminding you."

"Thank you for the reminder, and for making breakfast." I said as she set one plate in front of me. "And no, I haven't decided on a topic yet."

"I'm assuming you also haven't thought about where you'd like to go for your last year of college?"

I shook my head. "I agree that I should do the last year in a real university, instead of online, but I have absolutely no clue which one."

"There are a fair few that I'd recommend. It just depends on what you decide you want."

"I know. It's just frustrating." I got up from my chair and walked around to the refrigerator, retrieving the orange juice carton. "Trying to decide where to go, while already focusing on current schoolwork, and juggling a job."

"Life choices are often frustrating. But they're worth the hassle." She handed me a glass. "Do you have work today?"

I nodded. "I have to clean the stage and make sure the auditorium is clear for tonight's show."

"Will you be back in time for dinner?"

I filled the glass with orange juice and sat down again. "I should be."

"Good. I'm making tomato soup and grilled cheese."

I smiled. "I can't wait."

"Do you have anything you need to get done before you leave for work?"

I bit my lip. "I may or may not have an assignment that I put off doing yesterday,"

My mother gave me a stern look. "Austyn Skye."

"I have over half of it done already, it shouldn't take me too long to finish."

She exhaled sharply. "If you aren't capable of keeping track of your homework, then I'll gladly assist you."

"I'm hanging on so far." I defended myself.

"You can't just drop off at the end of the year."

"I'm not." I said, trying to sound assuring.

"Good. I didn't raise you like that."

'And there's no one else to be an influence.' I thought, but I didn't speak the words.

"I need to head out pretty soon." My mom said, glancing up at the digital clock on the microwave. "I'll see you tonight."

"See you then." I continued to eat my food.

"Make sure to get your homework done, and stay safe on your walk to the theater." She kissed my forehead and left the kitchen to grab her jacket and purse.