Pt.3|Ch.7

Ben's condition improved steadily overnight, and he suggested being let out of the house the next morning.

Josh and Sky turned that decision over to me, and Ben's request was immediately shot down.

Although he grumbled a little bit, he survived being cooped up indoors while Sky and I were at the matinee.

But as the evening show drew nearer, he began to get restless, and again tried to get me to let him go.

"Please?" He begged. "I feel fine!"

I rolled my eyes. "That's what you said last time."

"Yeah, but this time I—"

"Save it, Ben." I set my hands on my hips. "You're staying in and off your feet today."

He stuck his bottom lip out. "Please?"

"No."

His begging ceased at the sharpness of my voice, and he lowered his head in disappointment.

"I really do feel fine." He mumbled. "I'm a grown man, you know."

I raised an amused eyebrow. "You sure don't act like one."

He shot me a glare.

"Hey," I raised my hands in surrender, "if our roles were switched, would you let me go anywhere?"

"Pssh, no," he scoffed. "I'd tie you down and never let you out of my sight."

"Then my point has been made. Now," I gave him a stern look, "Behave yourself for Josh."

"Why can't you stay here with me again?"

"Because I have to go kiss Joey."

Ben grimaced. "Okay, ouch."

"You are currently unarmed and helpless." I smirked. "Did you expect me not to fire as many shots as I can?"

He let out an irritated whine. "Can you at least kiss me first before you go kiss him?"

"Gladly." I replied, moving forward and pressing my lips to his.

"That was nice." He smiled. "Can you do that again?"

I rolled my eyes and kissed him one more time. "I'll see you in a few hours."

"Break a leg, Songbird." He said, before turning his head and calling, "Try not to mess up tonight, Sky!"

"Ha-ha," he replied, walking into the living room from the kitchen. "I love how you're so shy and sweet with her, but you never hesitate to insult me."

"I live to disappoint." Ben said, satisfactorily leaning back against the couch.

"We're leaving, Josh." Sky announced as he and I stepped out the door.

"Have a good show!" Josh responded. "Make me proud!"

"Can you hail the taxi cab?" I asked as Sky and I stepped out onto the street. "It still makes me nervous."

"Sure." He replied. "But you're gonna have to do it yourself again someday."

"But today is not that day because my favorite cousin is being super nice and doing it for me."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say, nerd."

I looked up at him with a confused gaze. "Why'd you call me that?"

"Because you're way smarter than me."

"Oh, so you're deprecating me to feel better about yourself?"