Pt.1|Ch.10

•••••Austyn's Perspective

"When do you think you'll be back?" My mom asked as I slipped on my jacket.

I shrugged. "He knows I have a curfew. It's early enough now that I should be back before ten, for sure."

She nodded. "Okay. Message me if you need anything."

"I will." I held up my phone before sliding it into my pocket.

She crossed her arms and leaned against the doorframe. "Are you excited?"

"For what?" I asked in confusion.

"For tonight."

"Mom," I groaned, but I couldn't hold back a smile. "You do this every time I mention him!"

She laughed. "I have every right to tease you, and you know it."

"Of all the lectures I've received about how much you're against things like this, you sure do like to bring it up a lot."

"Only because I know that there is nothing romantic going on between either of you."

"You're right there, at least." I pulled my curly brown hair back into a ponytail, tucking loose ends behind my ears. "And you know that I have no interest in him. Not like that."

"Fair enough." She relented, her voice soft. "I'm just worried for my only daughter, that's all."

"And I appreciate and accept it, thank you." I offered a smile. "I know you're just looking out for me."

She laughed. "I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be allowed to worry for you. You're nearly 20 years old."

"That doesn't mean you need to stop looking out for me."

"It just means that you're old enough to judge for yourself. As long as you trust him."

I nodded. "I do trust him, Mama. But I'll always come to you for advice."

"And I'll always be here to give it to you." She glanced up at the clock on my wall. "About time for you to leave?"

"Yeah." I pulled out my phone and opened up the direct thread. "He should be here soon."

Sure enough, there was one missed notification.

Ben

«I'm right outside»

«Okay I'm coming»
«You still haven't told me where we're going»

«It's a surprise»

Rolling my eyes with a faint smile, I slipped my phone back into my pocket.

He was waiting in his car, parked on the street outside my apartment building.

"What time do you need to be back?" He asked as I climbed into the passenger's side seat.

"Before ten."

"Got it." He turned the key in the ignition and eased the car forward.

"So, now can you tell me where we're going?" I inquired as he switched the radio over to the Broadway station.

"Absolutely not." He said, singing the phrase to the tune of 'Sincerely, Me'.

"Benjamin!" I groaned in irritation.

"What?" He laughed. "Don't you trust me?"

"Yes, I trust you, but I don't appreciate you abusing your power."