Pt.2|Ch.10

•••••Benjamin's Perspective

I didn't know Stacey Flaherty as well as

I'd have liked to.

None of us did.

None of us could.

She was one of the most incredible women we'd ever met.

She'd welcomed us into her home before she knew us at all, and became like a second mother when we were away from our own.

She was Aunt Stacey, not only to Sky, but to Josh, Aiden, and I as well.

A heart attack. That's what the doctors said after they'd examined her body. A heart attack that was strong enough to be fatal, snatching her away from us in an instant.

Natural causes. Unpreventable. Unpredictable. No way to have seen it coming.

She'd written letters before she died, though.

Letters for us to read when we left for the tour.

It looked like she'd been planning to write to all five of us, but only finished three.
One to Josh, one to Aiden, and one to me.

The three outsiders.

'Dear Joshua,
Sweet, baby boy. I've loved getting to know you over the past few months. It's been a blessing to be exposed to your cheerful smile and energetic attitude every day.
Though it may not be my line to say, I'm incredibly proud of who you are and who you have yet to become. Enjoy the second half of the tour, spreading the joy that your music and dance brings in bountiful amounts.
Thank you for taking Austyn in like you have. She'd never had siblings, and you've made up for that loss in ways that I could never express my gratitude for.
Stay smiling,
Aunt Stacey'

'Dear Aiden,
Brave, beautiful girl. How I'll miss you while you're away!
Watch after Austyn and the boys, as usual, and take care of my nephew.
Sky loves you more than he has loved anyone else, and you have been such a Godsend to his life. He's never fallen for anyone harder, and he knows it. Keep him in line.
Make every second of your tour-life last, and know that I'll be waiting here for you when you get back.
Best of luck and love to you and Cephas, and may every show leave you happier than the last.
Don't forget to swallow your medicine, and your pride.
Aunt Stacey'

'Dear Benjamin,
Blonde hair, blue eyes, ('pop'). I don't even know where to begin with you.
I guess I should start with 'thank you', but those aren't quite the words I'm looking for.
In all honesty, I can't express how thankful I am for you. You've taught Austyn so much, and brought out a side of her that she kept so well-locked away.
She told me about that night, when she told you she loved you for the first time.
She was happy, Benjamin, so happy. You've shown her the stage, and the side of love that we've both been blind too.
I hope she has taught you a few things in return.
Though I would've hated to admit it at one time, you're more like a son to me than I let on. You're an incredible young man, and indescribably talented. I can't wait to see where your career takes you, and all the audiences you have yet to leave starstruck. The going gets tough sometimes, I know, but hold out for that.
Take care of my daughter on the road. Your relationship with her may grow, or it may crumble, but take care of her. That's all I could ask for. Seeing you two together never fails to bring a smile to my face, and I wish you as much happiness as you can handle in one lifetime.
Keep dancing, keep singing, keep thriving.
Aunt Stacey'

•••••

It rained on the day of her funeral, as if the sky wept for her with us.

Austyn and Sky left almost directly after the eulogy was over, leaving the three of us at her gravesite. We hadn't spoken to them in days, but we let them have their space.

They needed family, and we weren't family.

Aiden and I stood side-by-side, just looking down at her headstone, and wishing that we could just wake up from the nightmare.

Josh joined us, three roses in his hand, and handed one to each of us.

We had promises to make.

Aiden went first, kneeling and gently laying the flower in front of the stone. "I promise I'll keep him in line." She said, managing a small smile. "And I promise I'll swallow my pride."

Josh went next, mirroring her actions.
"I promise I'll keep smiling." He said, but his voice quivered, and his mouth struggled to perform the action. He slowly stood straight again, turning back and making room for me.

His smile was absent, and his eyes portrayed shame.

Shame that he'd already broken his promise.

Repeating the process that both of them had gone through, I laid my rose next to theirs, and lowered my voice so that only she and I could hear.

"I promise she won't be alone. I won't leave her alone. I'll take care of her if it costs me everything I have, I swear it. We'll all take care of her." I whispered, standing to my feet again. "I swear it."

Aiden stepped forward, crossing her arms in order to repress a shiver.

She stood tall and stoic, trying to seem strong when we knew she wasn't. Trying to be strong when she knew she couldn't.

The ends of her curls were the only thing that hadn't yet lost their blue dye, making it look as if the color was being sucked out of her hair, just like the sarcasm and smile was sucked out of her demeanor.

"Every day ends after its twenty-four hours are up." She mumbled. "This one's gotta end too."

"It will," But when I looked down at her, and saw the battle she was fighting, I stopped short. "Aiden—"

"I just want him to be okay," she clenched her teeth, desperately trying not to cry. "But I know he's not." Her eyes remained on Aunt Stacey's headstone, staring at it longingly. "And I want to ask her what I should do," she shrugged, offering a laugh devoid of happiness. "But I can't."

"Hey," I placed my hand on her shoulder. "Sky's gonna be fine. He just needs time to process this. And so do you."

But she shook her head, still holding on.

"It's okay for you to cry." I insisted.

She bit her lip and took in a deep, shaky breath, her entire body trembling from the emotion that she was locking away.

"Stop," I muttered, unable to watch her silent war any longer. I roughly took ahold of her arm, enveloping her in a tight embrace.

She took another deep breath, and then finally let go.

Crying soundlessly against my chest, her breath hitching, she allowed herself to fall.

Josh stood closer to us, putting a hand on my shoulder.

We held her steady, protecting her when she was vulnerable.

And when she'd ceased weeping, we remained, just standing there.

Just the three of us.

The three outsiders.