Pt.1|Ch.9

•••••Benjamin's Perspective

6 a.m.

She said 6 a.m.

So we got up at 6 a.m.

"Why do we have to get up this early again?" Josh murmured as he stumbled into the kitchen, still wrapped up in his blanket.

"Because Austyn's mom isn't available again for another week, except late at night, and we're not available late at night. This is the only other time they could schedule anything."

"But why can't they just..." he yawned, folding his arms atop the table and laying his head down, "choose one of the later meeting times?"

"Because Austyn wants her mom to meet Sky as soon as possible. This morning is as soon as possible."

"I wanted to sleep, though," he closed his eyes, snuggling into his blanket.

A knock sounded at the door, but he didn't stir.

I rolled my eyes and went to answer it.

"You ready to go?" Aiden asked as she and Sky stepped inside the apartment door.

I nodded. "I am, but Josh just fell asleep in the kitchen."

"Is he ready otherwise?" Aiden set a Starbucks cup on the coffee table.

"I'm pretty sure he got up, got dressed and stuff, then got his blanket and walked into the kitchen. Next thing I know, he's curled up at the counter like never woke up in the first place."

"I'll get him." She smirked. "Seeing as how I know how to deal with your sleep-deprived friends much better than you do."

I raised my hands defensively. "It's not my fault he stays up till two a.m. watching 'Power Rangers'!"

"Oh, that is something he would so do." Sky muttered, shaking his head.

Aiden shrugged. "That would explain why he constantly texts me at midnight to talk about love triangles."

"Yeah, he gets way too into it." I followed her into the kitchen, where Josh was still out.

She tapped his shoulder gently. "You have to wake up, now."

"I don't want to, though." He protested, scowling.

"But we have to go meet Austyn's mom, remember? We're eating breakfast at her house today."

"Can't I sleep for just a little bit longer?" He pleaded.

"How about we strike a deal?" She whispered.

His eyes cracked open. "Strike?"

"Not that kind of strike. I'm going to make you an offer. Do you want to hear it?"

"Mhm." He closed his eyes again.

"If you get up now, I'll let you take the blanket into the car, and you can sleep on the way there. How does that sound?"

"Good."

"Okay. Here, stand up," she took hold of his arm, attempting to haul him to his feet. "Sky—"

"Got it." He left my side to stand at hers, taking Josh's other arm and slinging it over his shoulder.

"You got him?" She asked.

He nodded. "I got him."

She stepped back, letting Sky carry Josh out of the kitchen and to the front door by himself.

"Is he excited for today?" I inquired as she picked her coffee cup up again.

We were a good number of feet behind the other two, just locking up the door by the time they were nearing the bottom of the stairwell.