Pt.3|Ch.6

•••••Austyn's Perspective

7:30 a.m.

Visiting hours opened at 6:30, so I got up at 6 and took a taxi to the hospital.

It was a little nerve-racking, hailing a cab by myself, but there was no way Sky and Josh were getting up an hour early.

My pulse quickened a little, having to get inside a random person's vehicle and trust them to take me where I wanted to go, but I don't think my heart rate had slowed since Josh told me about Ben's accident anyway.

The nurse was a little surprised that I'd showed up so early, because apparently, normal people don't do that.

But she let me in nonetheless.

According to her, Ben had woken up once last night, but he was still asleep when I got there.

So I pulled one of the chairs up next to his bed, took his hand in mine, and sat still.

For an hour, I just sat there, scrolling through the show and matinee schedule, and trying to figure out which days I should take off to stay home with him when he was released.

I bit my lip. 'Two days is probably all I can afford,'

We had a matinee as well as a show that day, a show tomorrow, and another two-show day on Thursday.

'I could take off tomorrow and the show Thursday night?' I pulled up a direct message thread to Mr. Calhoun. 'That's a good compromise, isn't it?'

But before I could type my offer out, Ben's fingers tightened around mine.

I shut my phone off and set it on the chair next to me, smiling as I watched him blink the sleep from his eyes.

"You're up early."

"So are you." He replied. "What time is it?"

"7:30."

He wrinkled his nose, struggling to sit up. "That is early."

"No," I set my hand on his shoulder. "Lay back down."

"Austyn—"

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow. "You really wanna fight me on this? Again?"

He shook his head, obeying my instructions. "You're never gonna let me live that down, are you?"

"After you ignored me and wound up in the hospital? Never."

"I'm sorry." He said, genuinely apologizing. "I should've listened to you."

"I forgive you." I pressed my lips to his forehead. "Just remember this the next time you think I'm wrong."

He rolled his eyes. "You can't use this against me every time I disagree with you."

"Trust me, I will."

A loud gasp came from the doorway. "He lives!"

Ben laughed as Josh bounded across the room, with Sky following sluggishly in tow.

I left Ben's side to make room for Josh, and moved to stand next to my cousin.

"How're you holding up?" I asked, lowering my voice.

He exhaled, his shoulders slumping, and looked down at me with a sad gaze. "I want her to come home."

"She'll be home soon," I placed my hand sympathetically on his arm. "Day one."

"Day one." He agreed.

"Did Aiden leave already?" Ben asked, taking note of Sky's melancholy demeanor.