Chapter 25 - Toby

Faith had asked me to meet her at a park & ride in Brighton. I had offered to pick her up, intended on it actually. But when I asked for her address she asked if we could meet at the park & ride. I wasn't even going to pretend my mind wasn't reeling trying to figure out why she didn't want me to know where she lived. Maybe she thought I was creepy and only humoring me by going out with me. Maybe she was embarrassed, her house? Family? Me? Maybe she had a boyfriend. Or worst yet, maybe she already knew who I was. Elijah's heart started to race at the last one.

I pulled my truck into the paved parking lot, finding a spot away from the rest of the cars so I'd be easy to spot. Not that my truck was hard to miss. She stuck out like sore thumb wherever I went. But I loved her all the same. I let my truck idle, cranking the windows the rest of the way down. When I fired up the a/c the other day it never cooled down, letting me roast in the cab like a thanksgiving turkey.

I pulled my phone out, navigating to the text thread Lars, Dylan, Perrin, and our other friend Mark had going. Perrin was trying to get everyone to go to his house tomorrow night.

Me: I work tomorrow night

Perrin: since when?

Me: yesterday

Mark: your lazy ass finally got a job? Bout damn time

I smirked, Mark was currently unemployed after he got pissed at his job and walked out. Apparently he could only handle so much from his 'idiotic' boss.

Me: park in the am?

I chose to ignore him, carrying on with the conversation.

Mark: yeah pick me up I'm broke af

Perrin: I got some place to be at 2 but I'll come for a while. Toby where's Lars?

I glanced at the time. I made reservations at this place about a half hour away in the city for 8. It was 7 already.

Me: I'm not his mom how should I know?

Perrin: you two are secretly gay don't lie

Dylan: I'm down for the park and they can't be Toby's got a girl

Mark: he probably paid her

Perrin: lol I'll pay to that fund god knows he's helpless otherwise

Me: you all suck

I locked my phone shoving it back in my pocket before I saw their responses. They were obnoxious. I wasn't that helpless. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket a few times. I didn't even want to know what they were carrying on about. I tipped my head back, letting it rest against the glass window behind me and closed my eyes. I used to close my eyes in the silence of my truck or my room or wherever else I found myself and I'd just focus on the feel of my heart. The rhythmic thud that was working against me, trying to snuff me out before I got to live. I honestly couldn't remember what my heart sounded like anymore. It's funny, you can listen to something everyday but once it's gone it slips from your memory without you even realizing it. I felt my chest rise, Elijah's heart pumping blood through my veins, reliable and steady.

A knock came from the passenger side of my truck followed by a soft, comforting "hello". I lifted my head, looking at Faith as a smile came to my face.

"Hey." I greeted, leaning over the bench seat to try and shove the door open. It didn't budge. "It's jammed one second."

Off to a great start so far. Damn truck. I climbed out and walked over to the passenger side. I took a look at Faith as I rounded the front of my truck. She had this short little skirt on that had my blood rushing south. I shook my head slightly, trying to push my teenage hormones away before they just ran rampant. I grabbed the handle, giving the door a good yank, it still didn't budge. I glanced back at Faith, trying to hide my embarrassment. I loved my truck, but she seemed to like to misbehave when Faith was around.

"Sorry, it should..." I started, ramming my shoulder into the door panel. "Pop right..." I did it again. "Open."

It still didn't budge.

"It's okay, I can slide through." Faith offered, leaving me standing there my hand still clutched around the metal handle.

It took me just a fraction of a second before I was right behind her. She climbed up the side, gracefully tucking her skirt underneath her as she glided across the old worn out fabric on the seat.

"See, no problem." She dusted her hands off like she just got done solving an intricate mechanical puzzle.

"My trucks probably not making a good first impression." I commented, slamming the door shut behind me.

She laughed, a smile spread across her face. "Surprisingly enough I still like it."

I was trying not to cheese out but come on, let's face it, she just danced her way right into my soul with that statement.

"I hope it stays that way."

I pulled the shifter down into drive, my truck rumbled and shook as the transmission shifted. I eased her forward, letting her rumble herself steady as we creeped through the parking lot.

"To add to the list, my a/c is broken." I told Faith. We can roll the windows up if you want but it'll get a little hot."

I was hoping she was fine with them down. I wasn't all about sweating like a pig and god knows a minute into the cab being closed up I'd be melting.

"They're fine." I could feel her looking at me as I drove, squinting against the sunlight.

I wanted to look back but I held my gaze on the road as I merged onto the highway. Elijah's heart pumping hard within my chest. The noise in the truck increased as the engine worked to maintain highway speeds. The wind rushing through the cab making it impossible to carry on a conversation. Instead I was left with my own nervousness and thoughts and stealing glances.