Chapter 59 - Toby

I dropped my board down on the cement, shoving off my foot as I sent myself in motion. Shifting my weight back I arched my path toward the bowl. I brushed my hair out of my eyes just before I dropped in. It felt good to be back. I'd missed the rush.

My board and I flew into the air on the air on the other side, my knees bending as I reached down with my hand to grab the board between my shoes.

I landed seconds later, the impact absorbing through my body as I headed for the other side. The wind rushed past me, my T-shirt sticking to the front of me as I neared the other side. In one fluid motion I launched into the air, grabbing the tail of the board before landing again on the other side.

It was all coming back so easy, like I'd never stopped.

————————

I took a seat beside Perrin. He was watching Aiden and the guys interact in the distance.

"Told you you had nothing to worry about." I nudged him in the shoulder lightly.

He dropped his eyes to his lap, a smile on his face. "Yeah. Though I would have been interested to see how Mark handled it before you got to him."

I smiled, nodding my head. Of course Perrin would catch me. He never officially asked me to talk to Mark but I did anyway.

"I just thought he'd be less of an asshole if the idea had a little bit of time to settle."

I'd picked Mark up a little early and we grabbed some food before meeting everyone at the park. It wasn't that I thought Mark would care Perrin was gay but if I was being honest Mark was a tough guy to like to begin with. I did it more for him. Give him a minute to process it all before he blurted something crazy offensive.

"Thanks." I nodded my head. "Where's your girl? I thought she was coming."

"Yeah she had to do something today but she should be here anytime."

I was sort of really nervous. For multiple of reasons. One, I didn't want anyone to mention my transplant. Two, she was meeting Mark. Three, she was meeting my parents. And lastly, four, I wasn't sure if Stella was going to be home.

"Aiden's really cool, it's sweet that he blades." I said, trying to ease my nerves as best I could by switching topics.

He didn't skateboard at all, I'd learned, but the guy had some sick moves on his rollerblades. I had to give him props, I couldn't do much more than blade backwards.

"Yeah, he's kinda awesome." Perrin agreed, his lips turned up in a soft smile, one I noticed was only directed at Aiden.

Mark's obnoxiously loud laugh filled the air, he punched Aiden in the arm before slinging his arm around his shoulders. Dylan and Lars right there with them, laughing too. To me it looked like we had just went from a group of five to a group of six.

"Faith's here." Perrin said, his arm crossing in front of me to point. "I guess it's my turn to go play damage control for you huh?"

I laughed, trying to hide the fact that I almost wished he knew how right he was. He shoved himself off the bench, beating me to Faith as I sat there, Elijah's heart racing in my chest and my body frozen.

I watched Perrin engulf Faith in a hug, a smile spread across her face as she laughed. She was so beautiful, seemingly carefree of everyone else's judgements.

Somehow, my body managed to kick start again, her gray eyes meeting mine as I stood from the bench and started her way. The guys had already taken notice, closing in on her too.