Chapter 45 - Toby

I had the hardest time paying attention during the service. I tried like mad but I was pinned between Faith and Simon and Elijah's heart was out of control. I was certain she'd hear it, she'd know. My shoulders were aching from sitting so rigid in the straight back pews and I was pretty sure I was starting to sweat through my shirt. I wasn't exactly sure how I wound up in this particular position, why did I have to sit next to Simon, who I didn't know? Couldn't I have sat next to the old lady on Faith's other side? She wasn't family of Faith's, at least I thought.

"Let's close in prayer." The preacher, or pastor or whatever he was called, said at the front of the room.

It's the weirdest thing to watch a couple hundred people move as a unit. It's a little unnerving, honestly, like they all shared the same brain. Their movements rumbled through the auditorium, until everyone was in the same bowed position except me. I'd been late to follow everything so far, my mind too busy watching the harmony in which everyone moved. I dropped my head, clasping my hands in my lap like I watched Faith do. From what I could see with my head down, everyone closed their eyes. I wasn't sure why. Did it make it more meaningful? Did it not count if I didn't close my eyes?

I kept mine open, sneaking glances at Faith and Simon beside me. Simon hadn't said a word to me yet, he did manage to squeeze my hand a little harder than I thought necessary when Faith introduced us. I figured it was just the big brother bullshit. It made me wonder if maybe Faith and Simon's relationship wasn't as far gone as Faith seemed to think it was.

The crowd murmured a collective "amen", a single deep voice echoing off the vaulted ceiling. And just like before, everyone's head rose like one body. The band started back up as everyone broke away from their once unified form, gathering their belongings, talking to the people surrounding them. 

"So what did you think?" Faith's voice said from beside me as I felt her lean into my left side a little more.

Elijah's heart raced off at her close proximity and all I wanted to do was shift away. Instead I looked over and smiled.

"It was different." I said. "I didn't really know what to expect but it was good."

"Yeah?" Her face lit up like she was surprised with my answer.

"Yeah." I reassured. "I might even come again if I got another invite."

Truth be told, currently the only interest I had in church was Faith. But being honest had to count for something, right? Even if it was just with myself.

I followed Faith out of the pew, people waved at her, asking her how she was as we passed. A couple stopped her long enough to notice me lurking behind unsure of whether I was included in the conversation or not. I shook a few hands and said a few 'it was nice to meet you's' before she slipped through the open doorway into the chaos that was the parking lot.

I wasn't complaining. I was glad I wasn't still stuck there, uncomfortably pressed against Simon's side, and Faith far too close to Elijah's heart for me to feel comfortable.

"You don't mind?" She asked, looking up at me with her gray eyes. "Coming to the lunch?"

I had my hands stuffed in my khaki pockets. "Nah not at all. I'm always down for food."

"Good. I just need to tell my parents." She scanned the crowd, pushing herself up onto her toes.

She had on a purple dress that hit her mid thigh, the skirt falling away from her body just a little. I liked the color on her, it made her eyes a little darker and her hair a little blonder as the sun bounced off it.

When I first pulled in and found her standing on the curb with her friends all I could think about was kissing her. I played it in my mind on the walk to her, how maybe I should have cupped her face in my hand and laid one on her. Give her friends something to really gawk at. But her parents might have seen and I didn't want to screw my chances of getting to continue to see Faith.