4. Mountain Hike

"Thomas, how much further?" Brenda asked, panting.

"I don't know. I've never been here before."

For some reason, Newt, Minho, Jeff and I agreed to accompany them on their hike. Gally was busy building something, Frypan was still needed at the kitchen and Clint still had to recover so they weren't able to come. And Brenda didn't like Jorge joining our venture so she forced him to stay on the village.

We've been walking for more than an hour now but it seems that we were going nowhere. We started our walk, after lunch, by following a path through the forest which led us to a narrower trail going higher up to the mountain.

The forest floor was a mixture of several shades of brown and green. The path snaked around the large trees, with thick and long gnarly roots. It was a quiet place and the only noise were the breaking of the dead twigs scattered on the ground and our loud pantings.

Despite being against this idea, Newt begged me to go with them on this adventure of theirs even if he was well aware how easily I got exhausted because of my minimal strength and endurance. It was a hot day but I had to wear a loose scarf around my neck since I didn't want anyone to see the marks Newt left during the deed we did yesterday at his shower.

"Thomas, man, are we there yet?" Jeff grumbled.

"Maybe...."

I rolled my eyes as Thomas excitedly kept leading us to the steeper path on the mountains. Brenda and him were on the front of the line, followed by Jeff, Minho, me then Newt. I was now worn out but I just kept it all to myself. Unlike the scorch, there was nothing here in our path that could make you exhausted.

"Love?" Newt patted my shoulder. "You alright?"

I didn't respond, just grunted and continued walking. He gently grabbed my arm and pulled me close before leaning down to whisper on my ear. "You look cute when you're angry."

"Boy, shut the fuck up." I yanked him away. He giggled and playfully slapped my butt before running away to catch up with the others.

After a couple more minutes, we finally reached a clearing overviewing the vast ocean. There was a small spring pool behind those large boulders and trees. The heat and itchiness from our hike made the pool look like the perfect place to relax. It's blue waters seemed so peaceful and inviting.

"I think this is it." Thomas said as he removed his pack and placed in on the grass. Minho began to clap his hands sarcastically. When I looked behind, there was still another steeper part of the mountain. We haven't reached the top yet but I guess here wasn't that bad either.

As we continued to observe our surroundings, we were interrupted by a sudden splash.

"Guys, check this out!" Jeff yelled as he began to swim towards the middle of the pool.

"Jeff, we don't even know if t-"

But I was cut off once Minho dove into the pool without hesitation. Thomas removed his shoes and his shirt. A few seconds later, everyone but me were already enjoying themselves by the cold spring.

"Maya, get in the water!" Brenda called.

"No, thank you." I replied and sat on a large root. I slowly took off my shoes and placed my bag beside me. I removed the scarf from my neck since the others were busy playing in the water. I began to massage my sore feet when I noticed someone drenched standing beside me.

"Minho, what now?"

"What's with you and waters, huh?" He crossed his arms.

"I don't....I don't know how to swim. And what if something grabs my foot."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Can you just leave me alone, please?"

He smirked and shook his head. I knew this boy was always up to no good.

"Don't even-" But the ex-runner didn't listen and scooped me in his arms before running towards the pool and swiftly tossing me there.

I plunged into the deep waters, panicking as I began to sink. My arms and legs kick out desperately as I tried to swim to the surface. A pair of strong arms lifted me up which I recognized as Newt's. As soon as I broke the surface, I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned on his chest, gasping for air.

"It's not even that deep," Minho rasped as he swam towards us. "You, overdramatic-"

"Minho, I will end you." I grunted, still clinging firmly unto Newt.

"You need to learn to have fun." Brenda said. "What are the things that you actually enjoy doing?"

"She loves to stare at almost anything or even nothing at all." Thomas joked. I wanted to beat the living hell out of this stupid greenie.

"What's that on your neck?" Jeff pointed.

"You didn't get strangled again, did you?" Minho raised an eyebrow.

"Alright shanks, that's enough. Stop bothering her." Newt finally spoke as he encircled his hands around my waist and pulled me away from them.

Few seconds later, I began to shiver uncontrollably due to the cold water. I gritted my teeth and leaned closer to Newt's body.

"Aaaww," Newt cooed, "Look who's cold?" I just whimpered so he hugged me tighter.

~

I was already too tired to walk on our way home so Minho and Newt took turns in carrying me on their back. At first I argued and told them I was fine but once I started to walk, I'd bumble to the side and fall to the ground.

Yup. That's how feeble I am.

It was already night when we reached the village and the cooks were starting to prepare supper. Thomas and the others headed back to their huts to wash and change into dry clothes while I went to the guild house so I could shower in peace.

"So how was your hike?" Papa asked as soon as I entered the house. Beau was reading a book, as usual, while Edwin was fast asleep on the couch.

"It was great. We found this nice pool," I smiled while secretly adjusting the scarf on my neck to hide the marks. "I'm gonna go uuhhmm, shower now."

"Once we finish s-s-scouting the west mountains, maybe we could move up there. What'cha think?"

"Uuumm. Ok. Cool." I shrugged before heading to the bathroom. Was papa really serious about relocating to another part in the island? I liked it here in the village. I was close to the people I loved. I have to do something to make him change his mind.