12. "Booze-Loving Bastards"

I shot myself awake as soon as I heard someone knock, groaning and rubbing my forehead. Turning to the side, I saw Newt peacefully sleeping beside me, naked. I gasped as I remembered that Newt and I had sex again last night, ignoring Papa's warning.

I started to panic once the knocking became louder.

"Papa!" I yelled, "If you open the door, I'll stab you."

"It's just me." Finn chuckled from the other side of the door.

"Oh. Don't c-c-come.....Stay out!"

"Listen, your dad went to the flyer with Major Lonn and Edwin. Just, letting you know incase you'll look for him."

"Got it. Now go away!"

Newt began to move and slowly open his eyes. "Maya, keep it down." He mumbled as he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me back to lie down. As much as I enjoyed getting all freaky with him in bed, but part of me felt guilty for disobeying.

"Last night was amazing. Better than all our previous."

"Because your raging hormones..." I playfully poked the tip of his nose.

"Come on. I know you loved every bloody moment of it."

"And because of that, now I'm shucking pregnant."

"Don't blame me." He kissed my head. "I'm innocent."

~

"Sonya." I called when I saw her sitting by herself on one of the uprooted trees near the shore.

"Maya, hey!" She waved excitedly. "Oh, congratulations by the way." I smiled and sat beside her.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" She said while staring at the horizon, "Sometimes I wonder if there's still life out there."

"Life? I dunno. Cranks? Absolutely." I deadpanned. She giggled and lightly smacked my shoulder. I wanted to do the same but I was afraid I would accidentally hit her too hard and knock her off the trunk.

"You know what, I've always wanted to ask you what it was like being in a maze full of dudes."

"It was alright, I guess."

"You wanna know what's it like in ours?" She beamed.

"No. Not really."

"Oh." Her shoulders slouched. "I was really looking forward to talk to you about our maze. The other girls here don't really care that much." It became quiet for a while since I didn't know how to respond.

"You and Newt make a really great couple." I felt my cheeks fluster to her statement. "He was really depressed and mopey before you came back."

"It's weird right?" Sonya stated pensively, "Newt and I are not even that close but for some reason, seeing him really sad, made me sad too. Or maybe I was just being moody cause of a freaking baby inside."

I placed my hand on her shoulder and gently patted it. Our conversation was getting weirder by the second. "I'm surprised Aris is not with you today."

"Yeah. Wait a minute. Where the hell did he go?" She scratched her head and began looking around. "That dumbass was right beside me."

"I'll look for him," I volunteered as I stood up, "Just stay here."

I went to the kitchen since that's where I felt Aris' presence. The cooks and Mrs. Tram were busy preparing for dinner. Aris and Frypan were talking but as soon as he saw me, he waved happily while I approached him.

"Can't believe we're gonna have a mini Newt or Maya running around this island." Fry chuckled as he ruffled my hair.

"Whatever," I rasped, "Looking forward for mini Siggys too."

"Nah. Imma need some ladies, I mean lady first." He shrugged before returning to work.

"Maya, what's up?" I almost forgot that I was supposed to fetch Aris if he hadn't talked to me first. He handed me a weird looking fruit. I looked at him cluelessly.

He chortled. "That's a papaya."

"A what?"

"A papaya," He enunciated, "Sonya's been eating this ever since she found out she was pregnant. I thought maybe you would want the same."

I shook my head and made a sour face. "By the way, she's looking for you." He gasped and nodded before dashing out the kitchen and returning to where Sonya was.

The smoke and heat coming from the oven was too much to handle so I left the kitchen and went to the brewery. I snuck in and watched Gus stacking up some barrels.

Gus yelped as soon as he turned around. "How long were you standing there?" I shrugged my shoulders. He grumbled as he stacked another barrel. "You need anything?"

"Can I uuggh-" I paused and pointed to the crate of rum placed near the door.

"You darn serious?" He scolded, "Liquor intake during pregnancy is a huge no-no."

"Come one Gus. I just....I just wanna taste."

"Seriously, what is wrong with you?"

Everything Gus. Everything about me is wrong.

"Just one bottle."

"Maya I swear to god, I will whoop your alcoholic-ass if you even touch a single one of those. You really are Robin's daughter; same booze-loving bastards."

"Everything alright here?" Newt suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

Gus let out an unmanly shriek. I bit my lip to prevent myself from giggling. Newt just smiled as he held my shoulder.

"Your girlfriend thinks that the brewery is a good source for baby nourishment." Gus tattled. Newt narrowed his eyes on me and I grinned nervously. He grabbed my hand and gently dragged me away from the brewery and into the orchard.

"Love, if Thomas didn't see and tell me where you were then maybe you might've pissed off Gus by now."

"Sorry." I held his hand and tried my best to look as sad as I could. "I'm sorry."

"Y'know, you're not innocent as you look," He smirked, "Anyway, you want to go for a swim? I found a really nice tarn."

~
Newt's hand never let go of mine as he led me to secret path at the far side of the orchard. The narrow path widened into a display of gnarled, mossy roots with a few patches of flowering shrubs. Beyond was a small, flat lake; serene and free from any disturbance.

"It's nice isn't it? I was looking for a secret place away from anyone. Somewhere you and I could have some time together undisturbed since Tommy and Minho keep shucking peakin' in my hut."

I smiled at the thought of having this place as our very own rendezvous. I hoped nobody else would discover this lake or I'll be so furious.

Newt took off his shirt and sandals and waded into the lake. He held out his hand and assisted me as I slowly stepped into the calm waters.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer.

"This is nice." I smiled wistfully. "I like it here."