19. Bland

At dinner, Newt and I brought the twins to the village's dining area so we could have some time to bond with our friends while feeding Alfie and Kayla. Alfie sat on Newt's lap while Kayla was on mine. She got distracted by Thomas and Frypan trying to play with her instead of eating. Alfie couldn't care less about Gally and Clint trying to get his attention. His prime focus was only the mushy, goopy baby food.

"When do you think they'll start talking?" Thomas asked.

"I don't know. I don't really care." I replied while struggling to aim the spoon to Kayla's mouth. I let out a frustrated groan and placed the spoon back in the container. Minho was across the table, staring curiously at me. Harriet was beside him, munching loudly.

"She's so shucking tiny." Jeff stated as he poked Kayla's shoulder. She looked at him and flashed a chirpy grin.

"She doesn't eat. That's why."

"Just like her mum," Newt said after placing Alfie on the table, succesfully done feeding him, "Now you know how it felt back at the bloody glade when you ignored me asking for you to go get munch."

I took a sliced piece of apple from Newt's plate and pinched off a portion and handed it to Kayla. She gurgled and began to nibble on the fruit, making a face as she relished it's taste.

Brenda arrived with a tray in her hand and sat beside Thomas, not before kissing him passionately infront of everyone. We all scowled and made gagging noises.

"In your face, virgins." She stuck her tongue out.

"I'm no longer one," Minho said, "Not that I'm bragging." Harriet shot him a panicked look.

"So am I." Gally added.

"Ditto." Clint smirked.

"I've been gettin' some nasty action since the last two months or so," Frypan proudly admitted, "But not in the kitchen. Don't worry." The thought of Fry and a girl getting frisky at a place used for preparing food made me choke on the inside.

"Steffy's pregnant. Just sayin'." Jeff raised his hand.

"I call bullshit." Brenda spat as she crossed her arms. The boys shook their heads. I was relieved Newt didn't participate in their banters. After all, it was obvious in his case. He's holding his son for shuck's sake. Bastard got nothing to prove.

While everyone kept exchanging sarcastic remarks at one another, I got preoccupied by my thoughts. I was glad that my friends finally found someone they would treasure for the rest of their life, but at the same time, I felt empty and left out that I lost track of what was going with their lives. Taking care of the twins took so much of my time that I hadn't caught up with my friends for a while. I started the meal with a cheery mood but now, everything seemed to be bland and tasteless.

There was this sinking feeling in my chest that I could not understand. It somehow made me miss life back at the glade where we only had ourselves to take care of. It was a selfish memory but somehow, it was the thing I could think of at the moment. Maybe it was how fast and slow at the same time things were changing. Even until now, I still couldn't believe that we reached a point where we get to live a normal life. No more stupid trials, no more suffering and running away from WCKD.

"Love?" I snapped out from my daze when Newt held my shoulder. I smiled weakly and cradled Kayla close to my chest before standing up.

"Leaving so soon?" Minho questioned.

"Yeah. I think Kayla's sleepy." I excused myself and went straight back to our hut. Kayla wasn't even in the slightest bit drowsy but for now I just wanted some time away from them.