16. Bundles of Joy

Months rolled by and much too soon, I was already due pregnancy. Having an unusual intuition had its perks and knowing exactly when your supposed to go in labour is one of the advantages.

I was now at the infirmary with Papa, Newt and Mrs. Tram while Mary, Jeff and Steffy were busy preparing and sterilizing all the much needed materials. Thomas, Gally, Minho, Frypan, Brenda and Jorge were told to wait outside. I could hear them talking to each other, mostly worried thoughts. Sonya just happened to pass by with Aris, carrying their three-month old baby girl, Elfin. Clint just arrived with a basin of lukewarm water and some towels.

I thought I was ready, but as soon as I felt the first contraction, I panicked.

"Just relax, jellybean." Mrs. Tram tried calming me down as I was wheezing while beads of sweat trickled from my forehead.

Papa was calmly clutching my left hand while Newt was on the right, looking pale and stiff as shuck.

"Alright-" Mary finally aided as she slipped on a pair of surgical gloves- "this is going to take a while but if you just follow my instructions, everything will be fine."

When the labour began, the pain I felt was more intense than anything I had ever imagined. As my stomach tightened, I could hear my own screams without being aware of making it. I was grunting and screaming while Mary kept telling me to push. There was a loud thud.

Newt was now on the floor.

"You gotta be shitting me!" Papa hissed as Clint and Jeff automatically dragged the unconscious blond boy out of the room. Thomas came rushing in and took over my right hand, my grip tightening since the pain became worse.

"Come on dear, just a little more." Mary said calmly. I shook my head in response, unable to endure any longer.

Time seemed to fly a lot slower when you were suffering. I could clearly feel all my muscles constrict and seconds later, Mary was now holding something in her arms which Steffy immediately wrapped in a towel.

But it wasn't over yet. There was still one more to go. Papa was now starting to panic as well. I was still really skinny since no matter how hard they forced me to eat plenty during the past months but I only depended on mangoes and Gus's cheese. He probably thought I was gonna explode due to all these pantings and shriekings.

"One more, (Y/N). Just one more." Papa mumbled. I closed my eyes and took in a sharp breath, before using what was remaining of my strength to push this goddamn baby out.

After minutes of excruciating pain and violent screaming, I was told to stop. I laid still in the now bloody bed, waiting for the pain to subside. I was so drained that even the sight of blood all over was not bothering me anymore. Mary gently held the second baby, wrapped in clean cloth. Thank goodness she was around. It made the process more bearable.

"Holy shit." Thomas squeezed my hand and nodded his head proudly. "Holy shit, that was intense."

"You good, kiddo? That was....that was really, really fucking scary." Papa said while he wiped the sweat from my face and neck. I was too tired to talk or even smile. I drooped my eyes and he took it as a response that I was alright.

The door of the tent was zipped open and Newt came running back inside.

"Love, I am so sorry. I didn't mean to pass out. I'm sorry. I w-" He stopped when he heard the newborns crying. His head whipped towards the sounds of the delicate cries, laced with curiousity and an evident layer of excitement.

Steffy smiled as she handed him the baby. "Newt, here's your baby girl." The baby stopped crying once she was on Newt's arms. Mary and Mrs. Tram were still cleaning up the second baby. Thomas patted Newt's shoulder before leaving the room.

"You still a ninny, Newtboy?" Papa scolded.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. I got anxious."

"Even Thomas did a better a job. I'm surprised my daughter chose you."

I was glaring at papa for insulting Newt like that but none of them made eye contact with me. The blond boy sadly stooped down, looking at the baby.

"Y-you better not screw up next time." Papa patted his shoulders. "You were starting to grow on me until that fiasco you pulled a while ago." Newt's face lit up before he nodded, while cradling the baby who began to cry again.

Mary proceeded to wipe off the blood from my legs while Mrs. Tram handed the baby boy to papa. Newt gently transferred the baby girl to my arms. I was afraid I would accidentaly drop her. She was so small, so fragile and precious. I held the newly born closer to my chest and she now stopped crying.

"Told you I wasn't going to die." I smiled but papa was to focused on the baby boy which was sleeping peacefully in his strong arms.

"Any names yet?" Mary asked.

Newt and I exchanged glances. I stooped down at the baby girl again, observing her pale pinkish skin and puffy eyes. She began to curl her fists and raise it towards my chest. I looked back at Newt who was still in deep thought. I can't believe that we actually forgot to discuss what to name the twins.

"Love, any ideas? I have but maybe yours is better."

I shook my head.

"What about, Jamie and Peachy?"

I shook my head again. Papa just scowled and disagreed too. Mrs. Tram flashed him a look that made him stop mocking.

"Alfie and Nornie?" Newt suggested again.

"I like Alfie."

"Naya? A combination of our bloody names."

"Try again." I pursed my lips to stop myself from snickering at how cliche he was.

"Reese?"

"You name a child after chocolate? How creative." Papa interrupted. Mrs. Tram smacked his head. He grumbled and kept his mouth shut.

"Grazel."

"It doesn't suit her."

Newt let out an exasperated sigh. "How bout, Kayla?"

I smiled and nodded although I was expecting a better name but Newt seemed to get impatient and I also wanted to rest.

"Alfie and Kayla. Beautiful names for this beautiful bundles of joy." Mrs. Tram cooed while stroking Alfie's foot.

"Eerm, Doc?" Papa scratched his head. "T-t-thank you. You've done so much, uugh, for her." Mary smiled and nodded politely before going back to work with Steffy.

I wanted to hold Alfie as well but damn my body felt heavy. I handed Kayla back to Newt and closed my eyes, hoping to sleep for as long as I want and wake up never getting tired again.