14. Just Emotions

"You shuckface!" I hissed while trying to push Jeff away from hiding behind this coconut tree.

"I'm not doing it," He insisted while grabbing firmly unto the trunk, "I'm not embarrasing myself infront of her."

"Let go of the tree!" I scowled at this stubborn boy who would not obey, "Jeff, I will stab you."

"Please don't make me do it. I already messed up." He pleaded while shutting his eyes, his hands still firmly gripping the tree.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Frypan interrupted.

"Hey there, man." Jeff tried to casually fold his arms as he leaned on the tree, pretending to be calm. I rolled my eyes and nudged his shoulders. Frypan gave us an uncertain look as the tension between me and Jeff was too blunt to go unrecognized.

"Jeff is going t-" Jeff quickly slapped his hand on my mouth. He flashed me a panicked look as I tried to yank him off.

"Ya'll weird." Frypan shook his head before heading to the shore.

"Don't freaking pressure me." Jeff worriedly spoke after he finally withdrew his hand. I was just glaring at him since he was being a cowardly bastard. He took in a sharp breath before facing where Steffy and her friends were sitting, happily chatting with each other.

I peeked from the tree and watched as he was about to do an embarrassing attempt on winning the girl he adored.

"Hey, Steffy!" Jeff greeted. A little too loud.

"Jeff? Hi. Why are you so red?" She pointed.

"It's just uumm.....I wanna tell you something."

She smiled. "Ok? What is it?"

"Listen, I'm no doctor. But I think you're suffering from the lack of Vitamin ME." He said smoothly.

Steffy and her friends exchanged looks with each other. Unable to contain myself, I bursted out laughing behind the tree.

Few seconds later, Jeff came rushing back to where I was, panting and cheeks red as a tomato.

"Maya, what the shuck?" He panicked, "I just made a fool out of myself out there."

"U-huh?" I raised an eyebrow. "Just look at her now." I pointed. Jeff looked back at where Steffy was. She was smiling and blushing as her friends playfully poked her sides while teasing her.

"Shuck. It really worked."

"You can come out now, Vitamin me." One of her friends called. I pushed Jeff away and he proudly jogged back to join Steffy and her friends.

I was done helping this boy make a move so I went back to Newt's hut. The blond boy was peacefully taking a nap. Small snores escaped from his parted lips and I had this unsual urge to wake him up for no reason. Or just plain annoy him since he was sleeping.

I carefully sat beside him. His forehead wrinkled and he lightly tilted his head sideways. Gently, I held his hand. As soon as I made contact with him, I felt a sudden kick inside my stomach. I gasped and stared anxiously at it while Newt just continued snoring.

Beside the bed was a basket filled with mangoes. And a stout shelf with one of Gus' cheese which he generously snuck for me to munch when I had these annoying cravings. Newt was not fond of the strange cheese and he did his best to stay away from it.

My zoning out was interrupted by several knocks from the door. I quickly stood up before Newt would get woken up by the noise.

"Minho, what do you want?" I complained after opening the door.

"Hey preggo shuckface. Is Newt there? We need more manpower at the paddies today."

"He's, he's sleeping. So stop bothering him."

"I had no idea you were the overprotective girlfriend type."

I frowned and crossed my arms. "I hate you."

"No you don't." He retorted.

"I will fucking stab you."

"Oooh, so scary. Wow." He snickered before running away.

"I'm telling Harriet you wet your bed all the time." I shouted when Minho was a little further from the hut. He stopped in his tracks and turned around, looking shocked as hell. I stuck my tongue out before closing the door.

I returned to Newt who was still resting like a dead rat. I sat down again and held his hand. There was another kick and I started giggling like a moron, startling the poor blond boy awake. Shit.

"Maya?" He groaned as he rubbed his eyes.

"Sorry Newt. Y-y-you can go back to sleep now."

"Only if you sleep beside me." He smiled and sat up, patting the space beside. I had to admit, I was tired but I didn't want to sleep. It was late in the afternoon and I had ridiculously long naps which prevented me from sleeping early during the night. I edged nearer and kissed him passionately. A soft moan escaped from his lips.

But while closing my eyes and getting lost in the moment, memories of our lives before paradise reminisced at once. The confusion and grudge I felt ever since WCKD took me, and me being helpless all the time. When I met Newt, I felt this strange connection with him. The thing was, he actually didn't feel the same way before the maze. He told me that in a world like this, there was no room left for him to love. Of course, I was hurt. But that never stopped me from risking my life just to participate in a stupid maze. However, upon arriving there, the tables have turned.

I got too carried away by my emotions that I never noticed that tears started flowing down my cheeks. I broke from the kiss and cried on Newt's chest, feebly clutching his shirt.

"I love you so much Newt," I sobbed, "I'm so sorry for making you go through all of....all of these."

"Love?" He giggled, "I love you too. But why do you always say that at the weirdest times?" I did not respond and just cried, embarrassing myself.

"So moody," He cooed as he pulled me to his lap, "You always surprise me in many bloody ways possible."

"Is that...is that a bad thing?"

"Of course not." He planted kisses on my head while stroking my hair.

"I'm really sorry Newt. I'm sorry for being a shucking bastard to you back at the glade."

"Ok, what's going on?" He tilted my chin up. "I'm starting to get worried."

"Huh?" I sniffled while he wiped the tears on my cheeks.

"Is something gonna? You sound like you're leaving."

"What? No I-"

"I've been down this road before, Maya. And it didn't end well," He said firmly, "So cut the shit and tell me what's going on?"

"Nothing. It's just....it's just the mood swings."

"Are you sure? Promise me you're not covering up some bloody lie?" I nodded my head and intertwined our fingers together.

"I promise. I was just being dramatic."