17. Wee Whiney Shanks

A month has passed and it was the most stressful days of my life.

The builders had finished renovating Newt's hut since my room back at the guild house was small and we needed more space especially with two whiney babies to take care of. Alfie and Kayla were so dependent. They spent their time sleeping, eating, crying and pooping. Even if I might have got the flow of things, but I was sure that I would have gone insane if I was the only one taking care of them.

Papa was right. Babies wake you up in the middle of the night just so you could put them back to sleep. Newt was back working at the gardens because of planting season and during the day, I was full-time babysitting. Luckily, Papa and Quantum happily voluntered to help take care of them when I needed some rest. Mrs. Tram even made two baby sling carriers for Newt to wear on his back and chest if ever we decided to carry the twins and stroll around the island. Kayla was always by the chest since she was always curious about anything while Alfie was always sleeping on Newt's back.

When Brenda, Gally, Jeff, and the other gladers first saw the twins, they were excited but at the same time worried about me. Newt tried to hand Alfie over to Minho but the bastard just ran away, claiming that he might drop the kid. Frypan, on the other hand, had the same impression as me, saying that the twins reminded him of those potatoes he harvested from the gardens. Sonya and Aris were overjoyed now that Elfin had a playmate in the future.

For Quantum, they kept arguing who gets to watch over the twins if I asked to, except for Finn and Beau who tried their best not to get involved in those things. It was evident that they had their favorites. Mrs. Tram and Papa with Kayla. Edwin, Major Lonn and Gus with Alfie. The twins and I spent the entire day at the guild house and went back to our own hut during the night. But everytime we arrived there, Newt would be fast asleep.

One night, after changing the twins' nappies, I put them to sleep; each one in their own cot, when Newt just got home from the gardens, drunk as shuck.

"Goodevening, love." He hiccuped.

I quirked an eyebrow. "You ok?"

"Tommy, Min Min and I broke in the brewery." He chuckled and leaned against the wall. "We stole a bloody crate load of rhum."

"I see." I crossed my arms, looking at him amusedly. "And you didn't spare me some?"

"Tommy said no cause you're breastfeeding. Alfie and Kayla might get drunk." He laughed at his own joke as he kept stumbling on his way to the sink, finding something to drink. The noise unfortunately woke Kayla up.

"For shuck's sake. I just got her to sleep." I complained as I carried Kayla again. Newt was mumbling jibberish before plopping on the bed. Things became a lot worse when Alfie started whining as well.

"Newt? Help would be needed." But he just laid still and didn't respond. Then there was a knock on the door. I rushed to open it, still carrying Kayla in my arms.

"Papa? Hi. You need anything?"

"J-j-just wanted to check if things are ok." Papa replied.

"They're not. And Newt's drunk."

"That son of a bitch." Papa stormed in our hut and went directly to our room, grabbing Newt's leg, pulling him off the bed.

"Stupid boy!" He roared, "Can't you see you have two li'l kids to take care of?" The blond boy's eyes widened and he quickly got on his feet, trembling, before rushing to Alfie's cot and rocking him so sleep.

"Pa, it's ok." I held his arm while carrying Kayla in my other arm. "You need to rest as well."

"You sure? Or do I need to beat the living shit out of him?"

"Infront of the twins? I don't think so."

Papa huffed. "Alright. But if....but if you're still having trouble, you can go back to the guild. Leave this bastard here."

"That's enough. Please?" I requested. He glared at Newt before exiting the hut.

Kayla was now leaning on my chest, her fist gripping my shirt. I rubbed her back before placing her back to her cot. Newt had just succesfully put Alfie to sleep as well.

"Sorry love." He said as he sat on the bed, patting the space beside him.

"So are Tommy and Minho drunk too?"

"Drunk as shuck," He giggled, sliding his hand up my legs, "Harriet came to pick Minho up but Tommy? He's on his own. Me?" He pointed to his chest. "I went home cause I need you."

"That's not fair. You had rhum without me."

"Fair enough." Newt leaned closer and began kissing my neck. I yanked him away.

"Come on, Maya," He groaned, "You can't expect me to stop having sex with you forever, eh?"

I laughed hysterically before covering my mouth, almost waking the twins again. I sighed loudly and assisted him to lie down comfortably. It seems that I had three babies to take care of tonight. Newt suddenly snaked his arms around my waist and yanked me to his chest, locking his grasp when I did my best to break free. This was going to be a long process of parenthood.

~

The following morning for some reason, Minho decided to pay Alfie and Kayla a visit. I laid a large soft cloth on the bed so the twins could snuggle with each other. While Kayla was busy curling her fingers and slightly raising her legs, Alfie was just fast asleep beside her.

"Is he dead?" Minho looked at him worriedly. I shook my head but I could see why he asked. Alfie was lying undisturbed like a dead rat.

"Should we wake him up?" The ex-runner suggested.

"Why?"

"He might be dead."

"Minho, he'll cry if you disturb him."

"We have to be sure." He positioned his finger towards Alfie's belly but I stopped him. "Maya, I think he's dead."

"W-w-what if he's just pretending to be dead?"

"Or he could be pretending to be asleep and IS actually dead."

"I don't thi-"

"He's not shucking moving." He began to panic.

"What are you two yappin' about?" Newt scolded.

Minho reached for Alfie's belly and poked it with his finger. The baby squirmed for a bit before opening his eyes. Minho let out a sigh of relief. Alfie eyes began to wander around his surroundings, trying to recognize the new face staring at him. Kayla was still curling her fingers. When Minho poked her belly, hers lips curve slightly into a smile.

"These shanks are so tiny, like I might squash them."

"Soon enough, you'll be having wee li'l whiney Minho's of your own." Newt patted his shoulders. Minho just smiled and playfully poked Alfie's belly repeatedly until the baby got annoyed and started to cry.