15. Night Intruder

It was past midnight yet I was still wide awake. I shucking overnapped this afternoon. Unable to ignore the boredom, I slowly lifted Newt's arm from my waist and quietly got up from bed and made my way downstairs of the guild house that was filled with the loud snores coming from the Quantum men. To my surprise, papa was still awake and was reading a book on the couch.

He placed his book down."(Y/N)? Why the hell are you still up this damn late?"

"Why are YOU up this damn late?"

"I'm reading."

"And I can't sleep."

He shrugged and picked his book back. "I thought Newtboy's snores kept you awake."

"His snores can't compare to Major Lonn's."

Papa chuckled as he nodded his head in agreement. I sat beside him and rested my head on his shoulder while he continued reading his book. It went on silently for a couple of minutes until he finally finished.

"Well that was...that was a depressing ending," He stated dryly, "Why the hell did I even read this?" He flipped the pages and skimmed his fingers through the texts, mouthing words as his eyebrows met.

"Pleading for forgiveness after infidelity? Pathetic!"

"You sound like your speaking from experience." I jested.

"That's because I am."

He was moving too much so I stopped resting on his shoulder. For a moment, I felt a familiar presence outside the guild house. Thinking it was just my mind playing tricks, I ignored it and just stared at the walls.

Then I heard something rustle loudly from outside. I quickly got up and went towards the noise. Slowly, I opened the door, only allowing a small gap enough for me to peer through.

"(Y/N)!" Papa whispered.

I squinted my eyes, trying to focus on the dark surroundings. Just behind the large wheelbarrow that Gus parked infront of the guild house, a fuzzy silhoutte was ransacking through the loads of crates. It was a bear, oblivious that it was being watched. I was positive it was one of the bears I encountered back at the pool. But where was the other one?

"(Y/N), what's going on?"

I motioned a finger on my lips before looking back at the intruder. The poor thing was probably hungry as shuck and decided to pay our place a visit and raid the supplies.

The bear grunted as it stood on its hind legs, before pushing off the topmost crate to the ground, breaking the languid wooden box to pieces. It began rummaging through his findings and began devouring his newly found food.

"Hey!" Papa suddenly yelled and stormed outside the door, carrying a rifle in his hand. I had no idea how fast he managed to grab a weapon.

Frantically, I chased after him. "Wait, do-"

He shot the bear, but missed.

The blast startled the poor creature causing it to scamper away. He aimed the rifle at it again but I smacked his shoulder.

"S-s-so long, fucker!" He raised his weapon. I punched his belly and he looked at me. Seconds later, we heard footsteps descending from the stairs, coming towards us.

"The hell was that?" Major Lonn asked as he rubbed his eyes. Gus and Finn were following behind. Then Edwin and Newt arrived and he instantly wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close.