9. Spilling Secrets

I quickly shot myself up from my bed. It's been a while since I last felt the surge and whenever it bothered me especially early in the morning, it was usually not a good sign. Today, it really caught me off guard. I kicked my blanket off and grabbed a jacket before running downstairs and out of the guild house. I made my way towards the shore and found Minho crawling on the sand, drenched and pale.

"Minho?" I knelt beside him as he rolled on his back, panting.

"I got stung." He panted.

"Stung? Like a griever?" I stuttered.

"No you idiot! Something in the water with spikes."

I was about to stand up and call for help when Minho grabbed my hand and pulled me down.

"Hey!" I scoffed, "I'm calling the med-jacks. You stay here."

"No don't go." He groaned. "Just help me stan-Dammit it hurts! Fuck! Ah, shit. Fuck!"

I found a puncture wound on the sole of his left foot, with a bluish bruise surrounding it. His grip on my arm tightened when he winced in pain.

"Hey! What's going on there?"

I turned to the side to see Harriet jogging towards us.

"This idiot-" I glared at Minho before glancing back at Harriet- "decided to take a swim and now, he hurt himself."

"Let me see." She checked on Minho's injury and groaned in disgust. "Ooooh, that's nasty."

"Can you watch him for a sec? I'm gonna call for help."

Harriet nodded her head before I sprinted to the medhouse. Luckily, Mary and Jeff were already there despite still being early in the morning. I told them about Minho and they came rushing to his aid.

"It's a sea urchin sting." Mary confirmed after checking up on Minho's foot.

"A what?" Minho asked.

"Jeff, call the others," Mary instructed, "Help me bring him to the infirmary."

Few seconds later, more men arrived and carried Minho to the medhouse. Thank goodness the surge warned me on time since Mary told us that the wound could get infected and lead to more complications if not treated immediately. I stayed outside the medhouse while Mary and the rest of the med-jacks treated the ex-runner.

Apparantly news circulate fast here in the village and soon enough, others started to flood near the entrance of the medhouse, peeking and asking what was going on. Mrs. Tram, Finn and papa also arrived and approached me leaning on a nearby tree since I suddenly felt unwell and nauseous.

"(Y/N), what happened?" Finn asked, "We heard you running from the stairs."

I was about to reply when I was cut off by a certain sick feeling coming from my throat. I turned around and crouched lower as I began to release all the contents from my stomach. Papa rubbed my back while Finn held my hair as I continued to throw up.

"What's going on, pumpkin?" Mrs. Tram asked worriedly, "She might be sick." She turned to papa.

"I'm alright." I reasoned but they didn't seem convinced. Papa carried me in his arms and brought me inside the medhouse, placing me on an empty bunk. Mary and the others were still busy treating Minho so I just waited and stayed put for a moment.

"I'm fine. I promise."

"No." Papa scolded, "You shut your mouth."

Finn began to massage my shoulders while Mrs. Tram left and went to the kitchen since it was almost time for breakfast. Papa sat down beside, looking at me worriedly. When Minho was done, Mary went to my bunk and placed her wrist on my forehead.