XIII. COMFORT

Harper hadn't cried once since Lydia had forced her to go to the party

Harper hadn't cried once since Lydia had forced her to go to the party. She still felt a little numb, her head hadn't wrapped around what had exactly happened yet. Already she missed Stiles, but she was a little better now at the same time. Maybe it was for the best that they had broken up sooner rather than later. After all, if there was no trust in their relationship then there was nothing.

The Empath had been sitting on the couch eating ice cream beside Melissa when she got home from school the next day when Scott stumbled through the door, looking for her. His brown eyes landed on Harper curled up beside his mum and he frowned.

"What happened?" He demanded.

Melissa looked over her shoulder, glaring at her son, "Scott, a little bit of sensitivity, please."

Harper shook her head, "it's okay, Melissa. Can we talk about this upstairs, please?"

Scott nodded and followed Harper as she moved upstairs. She went into her room, closing the door behind the werewolf.

He was frowning deeply, "you didn't hang out with us at school today, and Lydia's mad at Stiles for some reason, and Stiles is angry at everyone and he keeps acting really weird," he rambled, his eyebrows furrowing together.

"Stiles broke up with me."

She hadn't said the words out loud yet, and she thought that she would cry, but surprisingly she didn't. She was monotone, and she didn't even feel her eyes sting the slightest bit.

Scott looked taken aback. He even stumbled a little, blinking quickly.

"Um, I'm sorry, did I just hear you right?"

Harper nodded.

"He thought I was doing stuff with Isaac, and he got really mad and he broke up with me," she shrugged.

Scott's eyes softened when he saw the distraught look on her face, almost like she was slightly traumatised. He sat down on the bed beside her, his hand on the small of her back as he rubbed it comfortingly. Harper leaned her head against his shoulder, staring at the wall.

Her brown eyes latched onto the polaroids pinned to her notice board, and particuarly the one of her and Stiles from the time they went ice skating back when Scott and Allison were together. She didn't smile, nor frown. She did nothing.

"I'm sorry, Harps," Scott cooed, rubbing her arm now, "Stiles can be a dumbass."

"Stiles is a dumbass," she scoffed, shaking her head and removing it from his shoulder, "but it doesn't even matter anymore. Stiles and I are over and the sooner I get over him the better."

Scott frowned once again. Sure, he wanted Harper to be happy, but he also knew that she was happiest when she was with Stiles. They were both his best friends, and he loved them together. They were always at their best when they were one.